Athletes of the Issue: Colin Campbell and Cole Fuller

Jack Tempone If you’ve been to a varsity soccer game this fall, you’ve probably seen two freshmen, starting defenders: Colin Campbell and Cole Fuller. Both players have been playing since they can remember. Back in the old days, Cole recalls playing travel soccer with Colin for the club FC Drive. The chemistry they developed at a young age during their travel season helps them on the field today. When I asked what they enjoy most about soccer, they both responded with, “making friends with [their] teammates and playing good competition.” When not playing in Latin soccer, their sports seasons are far from over. In addition to both playing travel soccer and basketball, Colin also plays “basketball and lacrosse”, and Cole plays “basketball, flag football and track and field.” They play to have fun, and to make friends. I asked the athletes what their favorite memories playing soccer are. Cole responded, “I remember scoring a penalty and a header.” Scoring a penalty goal is something special. It’s you vs. the keeper; best vs. best. Slotting a goal to put your team ahead, I can only imagine, is one of the best feelings. Colin described his favorite memory was, “winning state” with his travel team, along with “playing with all his friends.” When asked about their greatest accomplishments, Colin said proudly, “becoming third in the region. Also qualifying for nationals this summer.” Cole said, “Probably beating the best team in our state, Inferno, 2-1, because they hadn’t lost a game in 2 years.” Both players watch the BPL (Premier League); the elite soccer league in England. They watch their favorite teams, and look for their positions to see what they do in different situations. Junior goalkeeper, Michael Davis, described the players as “great guys” and they’re “pleasures to have.” He also said that the two are “total studs on D.” Junior Callum Bondy describes Cole and Colin as “great players,” and are “valuable to [their] team.” If you’re lucky enough to get to the turf after school, take a look at Latin’s back line; you’ll often see two “studs” holding it down on  defense. ]]>