US Band and Chorus Thrill Stuttgart with Musical Exchange

Cynthia Gradek
Students just prior to seeing a private concert by the premier Mozart orchestra.

For Project Week this year, Upper School band and chorus took their act on the road in Stuttgart, Germany.

Originally scheduled for Project Week in 2020, the trip has been in the works for nearly four years, and after much anticipation, 63 students and seven faculty members took part in the exchange this year.

The trip includes three concerts, in which both band and chorus perform separately and do one combined piece (also with the students from Germany), “Hymn to Freedom” by Oscar Peterson.

Concerts took place at Latin’s partner school, Goldberg Gymnasium, and students have had the opportunity to stay with German students.

Sophomore band member Timothy Kempton said, “I have had a lot of fun socializing with my host family and learning about their culture.”

Similarly, freshman chorus member Klein Khim said, “My host family are the nicest people I’ve ever met, and I really feel like a part of their family.”

And students’ time at Goldberg hasn’t been limited to music. Upon arriving, they received a tour of the building and learned about the school itself from students and faculty.

Senior chorus member Makenze Humphrey said, “It’s been fascinating and super eye opening. I love learning and experiencing another culture, specifically at a school that is somewhat like Latin. I love seeing the similarities and differences.”

Students will return home on Friday afternoon, but before then, they have one more concert, in which they will perform alongside a German chorus.

Junior band member Jackson Darke said, “Just performing at the school was fun, and I enjoyed it a lot.”