Latin Students Electrify the Students of Stuttgart with Music

Latin’s band and chorus, along with the Albert Einstein Gymnasium’s chorus, in practice before their Thursday concert.

The long-awaited Upper School Band and Chorus Exchange in Stuttgart, Germany proved to be a hit among students.

Over the course of the week, students performed at two schools: Goldberg Gymnasium (where the exchange was held) and Albert Einstein Gymnasium. At each school, Latin’s musicians had the opportunity to perform with the other choruses. The first two performances took place at Goldberg, with some Goldberg students performing with Latin’s band and chorus.

“They were good audience members,” sophomore band member Andrew Legendre said, “and I feel like we learned from our mistakes.”

Traveling to Albert Einstein Gymnasium at the end of the week for their final concert, however, allowed Latin students to connect with more people and learn more about German school culture.

“I had an amazing time singing for the [Albert Einstein Gymnasium] because afterwards, we got to talk to some students and I became good friends with a girl there,” freshman chorus member Emma Dougherty said.

Through these interactions, students were able to immerse themselves in German culture. Sophomore Miles Stagman went as far as to learn the language. “This Project Week to Germany allowed me to engage with another culture—by learning the language, eating traditional food, and interacting with people—and enrich my understanding of history and culture,” he said.

Later that evening, all 63 students and seven chaperones traveled to the Stuttgart Opera House for a short workshop and a performance of “Tosca,” an opera written by Puccini.

“At the end [of the opera], it was really funny because we were clapping for what felt like 20 minutes,” freshman chorus member Alex Stamos said. “It was a really great experience.”

After a week filled with music and culture, the musicians traveled home. “Project Week is a week’s work of hard labor, but full of redeeming music,” freshman band member Ramon Cruz said.

The main goal of Project Week is for students to learn in unique and interesting ways while collaborating with their peers and enjoying different parts of Chicago, the United States, and the world. On the Band and Chorus Exchange this year, students were treated to new foods, people, and experiences, and came together to create meaningful performances and a meaningful Project Week.

Junior chorus member Lili Lone said, “It was an unforgettable experience I will carry with me for the rest of my life.”