West End on Demand, a Theatrical Journey

Students in front of the Kensington Palace

Observing and learning about London’s theater productions was like entering a place where imagination is limitless and art comes to life on stage. As one of the fortunate Latin students who went on this Project Week trip, I realized that London truly is a place where imagination has no limit.
On the first full day, we went right into our first workshop, where we learned to perform a song from the play Les Miserables. We worked with an actor from the show, and her dedication to teaching us about her passion was inspiring. Later that day, we worked with an actor from Matilda, and she taught us two different dances that we would see in person the next day. The first show we saw was a live performance of a modern take on the original Moulin Rouge. The stage design, detailed costumes, and musical performances made it seem like the actors were on old Paris streets. The dancers and modern songs caught our attention and left us fascinated by the intriguing plot.
The following day, we saw Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, a two-part show, each three hours long. As a big fan of J.K. Rowling’s Harry Potter books, I found it spectacular watching my favorite characters come to life on stage. The creative stagecraft and visual effects with the magic wands left my peers and me in awe. The next day, one of the actors from this show taught the group about the skill of acting and how to embrace freedom and sincerity in our characters. Focusing on these specific skills greatly enhanced our performing abilities.
We even had the opportunity to learn several dances from other well-known musicals such as Frozen and SIX. Working with the talented actors brought enthusiasm and energy to our workshops. Their dedication to their work was apparent in every rehearsal and performance, inspiring us to elevate our own performances.
Many of us had never danced or sung before, but Upper School science teachers Julia Plewa and Jonty Faulkner provided a safe space where we could trust each other. Everyone in the group had to prepare a song, a monologue, or a dance to perform for a showcase at the end of the week. While many of us, including myself, had to step out of our comfort zones, Ms. Plewa and Mr. Faulkner ensured that we were all supportive of one another to experience being comfortably uncomfortable together.