Students Work to Master Mr. McArthur’s Masters Pool

Zach McArthur
Upper School math teacher Zach McArthur and seventh place winner Maggie Zeiger shake hands after another year of a successful Masters Pool.

Golf has been a popular topic of discussion at the Latin School of Chicago for quite some time, thanks to the tradition Upper School math teacher Zach McArthur started. Eight years ago, Mr. McArthur conducted the first-ever Masters Pool for Latin students, faculty, and alumni, and since then it has been a fan favorite in the community.

For freshman Arden Brown, the Masters Pool brought friendly competition to each of her classes, filling the classroom environment with friendly competition as students and teachers aimed for victory. “It was cool to explore some of my teachers’ interests,” she said.

Mr. McArthur’s passion for golf began when his dad taught him to play at 13 years old, but he continued exploring the sport with his friends during the summertime. As time progressed, his love for golf only grew stronger.

“The Masters was a big deal on my college golf team,” Mr. McArthur said. “We would always play golf that Saturday morning of the Masters and get together to watch the Masters all of Saturday afternoon as a team.” He continued, “I would say I have really good sentimental feelings about the Masters.”

Mr. McArthur originally started the pool at his previous school, taking inspiration from his middle school teacher. “My homeroom teacher would have us pick the NFL football games every week, and he would paste up outside the door the standings of our homeroom throughout the whole fall,” he said. The daily emails from Mr. McArthur, providing updates on the tournament, have mimicked his joyous memories of his past teachers.

The final results of the Latin 2024 Masters Pool. (Zach McArthur)

The top participants ranged in golf knowledge, from winner Jake Pollock ‘23, who intricately picked his top golfers, to sixth place Upper School math teacher Kent Hartman, who selected them randomly. “Even a blind squirrel finds a nut,” Mr. Hartman joked.

With the history of the Math Department’s success in the pool, others may speculate that they use their math and probability skills to boost their chances. Mr. McArthur said, “I would look at some of those odds, but trying to put together a whole team and hoping they all do well is a low probability.”

Each golfer’s performance can be hit or miss, creating an even tougher challenge to bet on. However, this year’s winner was no surprise. Scottie Scheffler, now a two-time Masters winner, proved his excellence on April 14. His impressive history solidifies his talent, but this is just the beginning. He is the first player to win the Players Championship in back-to-back years. Although he does not have a prototype swing, his passion and dedication to the game breed success.

The Latin Masters Pool has allowed the community to share their golf interests. “My favorite thing about running this pool is the community building,” Mr. McArthur said. As the pool includes all grade levels, it perfectly demonstrates the unity of the Latin community, filled with exuberant, lighthearted experiences and, of course, a prize.

The top 10 winners of the pool get small, golf-related prizes, while the overall winner keeps an old Masters jacket for a year. Eventually, the prior victor places it on the shoulders of the new winner, just as they do at the Masters Tournament.

The Masters Pool is a prime example of teachers connecting with their students by sharing their interests with the Latin community in a fun, entertaining way. Mr. McArthur’s pool inspires other faculty members to incorporate their passions into class, allowing students to form connections with their teachers.

Mr. McArthur said, “[The Masters Pool] is just something fun, not mathy, something different to engage on a different level with students than the normal trying to solve equations.”