Gun Violence in Chicago: Stop the Hate

Meeting at My Block My Hood My City (@latinschoolofchicago Instagram)

Led by faculty members Frank Schneider and Kristin Gulinski, the first day of Project Week for the Gun Violence in Chicago group began by taking the L train from Latin to visit My Block My Hood My City. We heard from the organization’s leaders about their mission to take responsibility for our communities and to provide opportunities for children in their neighborhoods to explore other parts of Chicago.

We created posters to be used in the August 19 March on Madison to end gun violence. The March is in honor of Jay Jay, a member of My Block My Hood My City whose life was tragically cut short by gun violence.

The group returned to Latin via the L train, exhausted but inspired. “I found it very informative,” said sophomore Drew Lufrano. “I learned a lot about the struggles facing Chicago youth, and it made me reflect on how fortunate I am.”

We are excited to experience the rest of Project Week and look forward to learning more about how we can help end gun violence in Chicago.