Gianna Miller: From Latin to Law

Gianna Miller 15 is finishing up her final year of law school, nine years after she first fell in love with the law in Nazi Mind.
Gianna Miller
Gianna Miller ’15 is finishing up her final year of law school, nine years after she first fell in love with the law in Nazi Mind.

Gianna Miller ‘15 is nearly finished with her third and final year at Northwestern University’s Pritzker School of Law.

“My first year, I was mainly focused on academics,” she said. “Second year, I expanded out and wanted to focus on building a community and participating in clubs. My third year has really been about exploring and getting a taste of the working world.”

During her time at Latin, she took Nazi Mind as her sophomore history elective. Although it wasn’t clear then that she wanted to go to law school, the class served as a glimpse of what law school was all about. “[It] really challenged us to think in unconventional ways,” she said.

In addition to her studies, playing tennis throughout high school helped her form connections with her peers. “It was nice to meet a couple people before classes actually started,” she said. “I was able to create truly some of the best friends ever at Latin.”

Another out-of-the-classroom opportunity at Latin that she looks back fondly on is Project Week. For her freshman year P-Week, she did “Chefs of Chicago,” and nine years later, she considers herself a big foodie. During her other years, she explored Mexico City and hiked the Himalayas. “Things that people are lucky to do once in their life, I did multiple times across my experience at Latin, so I’m very grateful for those opportunities,” she said.

She is extremely proud that she will be graduating from law school in a couple of months. “My first year of law school was the hardest, and it definitely made me question everything,” she said. “This is the light at the end of the tunnel I was looking for, and I’m really proud.”