Film Fest Showcases High School Artists

Amy Balmuth Staff Writer Friday, May 18, marked the arrival of the Chicagoland High School Film Festival, much to the joy of the many film-watchers who came out to support. Though hosted at Latin and organized by Ms. Bunger and Ms. Ross, the filmmakers were not exclusively Latin students, offering a citywide variety of viewpoints. In the words of junior Alex Kritt “It’s a fascinating view into the minds of young, struggling, talented artists.” In the program of short films there was something for everyone; from documentaries to movie trailers to film noir, the festival had it all. Esteemed judges Rashid Ghazi, Joe Steiff, and Adam Kempenaar critiqued the films, and though the choices must’ve been difficult, the results are as follows: Juror’s Choice- Bridge by Devitt Conboy (Fenwick High School) Viewer’s Choice- Room For One by Andre Kaplan (Latin School of Chicago Best Direction- Heart and Soul by Anna Price (Palatine High School) Best Narration- Academic Integrity by Geofrey Neal (Lake Forest High School) Best Cinematography- Letter From a Stranger by Grant Terzakis (New Trier High School) Best Editing- Q-tips by Brittany Hardaway (Dunbar High School) The evening was an impressive show of talent; a “beautiful blend between all levels of experience and creativity which in the end comes together to make one groovy montage” said junior Jack Mulopulos. Thanks to the hard work of Ms. Bunger, Ms. Ross, Andre Kaplan, Lane Lubell and countless others, this year’s film festival was a total success!]]>