Coffee with Chris: Thanksgiving Edition

Chris Maurice

Columnist

With Thanksgiving this week, there was little time for me to find a student to interview in person. Thankfully, Michelle Santos was willing to answer some questions through email while I sat in front of my computer sipping hot chocolate.

Through I wasn’t able to interview Michelle in person, I still discovered of plenty of fascinating facts about her. This year Michelle has more free time than previous years, which is always nice. This gives her more time to do watch her favorite television shows—Family Guy and Supernatural. Michelle’s favorite class this year is Physics—not only is it fun, but she really understands it! Michelle also enjoys her math and finance class, and she hopes there will be an advanced business and economics class next year, because she wants to major in that field in college.

This year, Michelle is most looking forward to going to Berlin for project week—she is looking forward to really being able to see what happened to Germany and Nuremberg during World War II instead of just reading about it. She is also excited and nervous to get her ACT results back; she said you never know how you did, and that gives her the chills. Michelle also told me about some good books that she has read recently: Hairstyles of the Damned by Joe Meno, a novel about what it is like to grow up as a teenager in the 1990’s in the south side of Chicago, and Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen.

Since Thanksgiving was just last Thursday, we discussed our favorite Thanksgiving meals. Michelle’s favorite thing is lettuce, something that I personally had never considered. But what Michelle really saves up for is the pumpkin pie, something that I must admit I tried for the first time this year and immediately fell in love with.

When we are in school Michelle enjoys the chicken quesadillas for lunch, and when she is looking for a quick bite to eat she goes for peanut butter M&M’s and Tazo tea. At Starbucks, her go-to drink is an iced chai tea latte with soy milk and no ice. It is refreshing and she can’t stop drinking it. A craving all of us can relate to at Latin.

Michelle and I also talked about Black Friday. Michelle went Black Friday shopping and hated it; she thought that there were too many people and that it was too crazy. She did get Sugar Passion-Tinted Lip Treatment, but didn’t know whether she got a deal or not. One day Michelle and I will go and get coffee, where I hope I will get to learn much more about her, and see what else we have in common.

]]>