Early Notable Performances and Season Preview: Track and Field

Armaan Shah and Matthew Kotcher

Last Friday night, junior Marianne Mihas beat Illinois track star Katelynne Hart in a historic race at North Central College’s Cardinal Classic Invitational. Hart has never lost to anyone in her high school career. 40 miles east, at U-High’s Henry Crown Fieldhouse, other members of Latin’s Track and Field team had big shoes to fill. But they did not disappoint, as the team put up some impressive results at the “Midway Miles” Saturday meet. The Forum sent Staff Writer Matthew Kotcher, also a member of the track team, to the meet to scope out the scene. Junior and team captain Peter Bernhardt ran a personal best of 4:38 in the 1600m. Bernhardt has officially run the high school state qualifying time. “As a team, we really have a lot of potential. We exceeded expectations during the cross country season, so I’m looking forward to the rest of the season,” says Bernhardt. Freshman Akili Parekh agrees with Bernhardt and says, “Our hard work in the preseason will help us achieve great things this season, and the girls might even win state.” While there are plenty of experienced runners on the team, other student-athletes like freshman Meg Canfield participated to stay conditioned for their other sports. “I play varsity field hockey and want to get faster but also continue to be on a Latin team for the spring season,” says Canfield. “As someone who is dedicated to field hockey, the track coaches have been so welcoming and supportive.” The Roman track and field team hopes to build even more confidence as they will be back at it again shortly at their next meet in Lisle on April 11th.