Breaking: All Classes and Extracurriculars Canceled

Robert Igbokwe, Co-Editor-in-Chief

On Thursday morning at 6:30 AM, Mr. Randall Dunn, the Head of School, sent an email to parents, faculty, and staff explaining their decision to cancel all classes and extracurriculars until Monday, April 6. Mr. Kirk Greer, the Upper School Director, has also confirmed that all Project Weeks will be canceled as well.
The decision comes after a slew of Project Week cancelations in response to the rapid spread of COVID-19, commonly known as coronavirus. In the last 24-hours, the World Health Organization officially declared the disease’s spread a global pandemic.
The administration’s decision models those made by several colleges and universities nationwide in an attempt to halt the virus’s spread. However, Mr. Dunn’s email says, “We have not received a report of anyone in the Latin community testing positive for COVID-19.” 
Currently, all Latin buildings are still open, and students are encouraged to return to retrieve any items still in the school. The April 6 reopening date is tentative, and faculty and staff plan to meet this noon to discuss “plans for distance learning.” To help mitigate the virus’s spread, the administration recommends, “that every family follow the advice of the Chicago Department of Public Health and other public health authorities related to social distancing.”