If You Haven't Met Them Yet, Meet Them Now: Latin's New Grade Level Deans

Su Eun Kim Staff Writer As everyone knows, there are two new deans in the upper school: Ms. McGlinn and Ms. McCarthy. The Forum decided to ask a couple questions to our new deans as a way to get better aquainted with them. If you haven’t already said hello or introduced yourself, now is your chance! Ms. McCarthy Why did you decide to apply for the position of a grade dean? I’m interested in exploring the different administration. What is the difference between interacting with students as a teacher versus a dean? Students are more intimi… not intimidated but more respectful of me. What do you enjoy about being a dean? What is something that you don’t enjoy? I like to interact with the students and the sophomores are a great class to work with. I’m always busy! Definitely not used to the work and I need to adjust. Do you have anything to say to the sophomores? Keep up the good work! Ms. McGlinn Why did you decide to apply for the position of a grade dean? I was the academic dean at my former school and I enjoy helping students in a different capacity. What is the difference between interacting with students as a teacher versus a dean? I have more conversations with students about life outside of school. I also have more students visiting my office. What do you enjoy about being a dean? What is something that you don’t enjoy? I enjoy helping students navigate through their school life…getting to know students and balance different aspects of their lives. I (also) love bringing groups to support each other and succeed as a whole. I don’t enjoy tracking students down if they miss a class, or for whatever reason that I have to find them. Do you have anything to say to the junior class? The junior class is very energetic and lovely group of people who have individual qualities that I admire.]]>