Your Guide to Prom Asking Season

Kaya Romeo

Everyone has seen at least one of them. If you weren’t there in person, you’ve seen the pictures on Facebook. Some are cute and they make you go aw, some are uncomfortable and oddly intimate, but they are all about the same thing.  It’s become so common and so ingrained in our minds that we’ve made up a word for it. I’m talking about the public “Promposal.”
We’ve seen some clever ones – Junior Henry Pollock asked his date Kate Guynn by using floating noodles in the pool that spelled out Prom (Kate is a swimmer). We’ve seen funny – Junior Liam Lefebvre naming his six Pokemon “Michelle”, “P”, “R”, “O”, “M”, and “?” respectively for his date Michelle Santos. We’ve seen inspiring (some might call it that, others may not) – Sophomore Charlie Fox performed a beautiful rendition of Ed Sheeran’s “Wake Me Up” at Gathering for his date Samantha Fifield. However, we’ve seen it done, though, it seems that the trend is to make it a big public spectacle. We’ve seen overindulgence when Max Falb ordered “CinnaStix” from Dominos and used them to spell out “Prom?”. It was five boxes of CinnaStix!

They are fun because they’re cute, but each one raises the bar for those yet to be asked. When thinking of your Promposal, you must be careful not to do something someone else has already done. It’s also important to surprise the person you are asking, (word for the wise: confirm that you are going together beforehand or else it’s likely to get awkward). It’s a premeditated game of elaborate one-upmanship, like that seen in Game of Thrones.

However, Prom season is about much more than the asking. But, for some people, the asking matters more than prom itself. There are pre-proms, post-proms, shoes, accessories, and the most dubious of them all, the dresses. As junior Jordyn Weisberg says, “the dress is more of a commitment than your date.” Well, everyone prioritizes differently.

]]>