Lady Romans Take the Courts

Tanya Calvin Senior Christina Bianco and junior Victoria Lancaster brought some Latin pride to the state competition for girls varsity tennis. They were out in the first round, but the team overall had an amazingly victorious season. The Romans swept Morgan Park Academy and went 5-1-0 in conference. At sectionals, Christina and Victoria led the team, winning two matches and senior Cam Arkin winning one. Sophomore Miya Coleman says, “In the end, the season was really great because we got to bond as a team and everyone worked really hard.” Non-conference matches proved to be a little more challenging, and the team ended up going 3-5-0. The girls had plenty of fun mixed with discipline this fall, their friendships going stronger during every practice with Coach Carley (more commonly known as Howard). In one of their matches against Francis Parker, everyone was remarkably supportive of each other and managed to squeeze some jokes into more serious advice while the girls were playing. Next fall seems promising, with some of the girls taking the initiative to step up and be leaders to take the team to the next level. We’re proud of our lady Romans’ true dedication and skill this season on the courts; going overall 8-6-0 is undoubtedly something to celebrate!]]>