What Happened?

Tina Czaplinska Co Editor in Chief Pam Mack was in the cafeteria ever since I came to Latin freshman year. We hit it off pretty quick because she was usually reading—and I love to read. However, I wasn’t some special case—like a Scout and Boo Radley kind of situation—Pam was friends with everybody. However, much to everyone’s surprise, Pam was not sitting behind her usual register on the first day of school this year. “What happened to Pam?” Senior Sydney Bell asks. Though I wish I had the answers, I really don’t. I am afraid that no one really does. It all started last spring, in April, when an ambulance was called for Pam. “I talked to her earlier that day,” commented Mr. Windus, “and we were just talking about how good it was that her mom was finally feeling better.” Pam’s family issues had gotten out of hand. With her sister’s death still looming and her mother’s sickness slowly improving, Pam was under a lot of stress. It all caught up to her that day and she needed medical attention. She stayed in the hospital overnight. Everything after that day is a mystery. David Plumley, the Head of Food Services, has made numerous attempts to reach out and contact her. Plumley says, “We really wanted to reach out and offer our support, and even medical leave. We tired to call but her phone was disconnected.” Arjah’Nay Herron, a senior who was very close with Pam, assures that, “Pam would change her number a lot. I don’t’ really know why but even so she always got back to me.” Arjah’Nay has not been in contact with Pam since April. Plumely also states, “We sent members over to her residence and it appeared to be deserted.” Despite this major loose end, different people have the same interpretation about what happened to Pam. Georgi, a member of the cafeteria staff, says that, “She moved to Indiana to be with her family. But that’s all I really know.” Mr. Windus also believes in the same scenario claiming, “She had a brother in Indiana and odds are that she moved out there so that together they could take care of their mom.” While that’s a consoling thought, it isn’t all that satisfying. “She was another comfort zone at Latin and now she’s gone,” continues Arjah’Nay, “if I could talk to her I’d ask her why she left. And, of course, I’d tell her that I miss her.”]]>