LIFE Preview: Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy

Grace Ebach Staff Writer The Latin School is thrilled to have one of this year’s Academy Award winners come to the school next week. While she’s not an actress, to many she’s far more inspiring than a Hollywood star. From April 19th to the 20th, award-winning journalist and internationally-acclaimed filmmaker Sharmeen Obaid Chinoy will be visiting Latin to talk about her recent Academy Award-winning documentary, Saving Face. The film follows plastic surgeon Dr. Mohammad Jawad as he journeys to Pakistan to perform reconstructive surgery on survivors of acid violence, most of whom are women. The documentary also addresses the under-reporting of acid violence in Arab nations because of inequalities towards women. Obaid-Chinoy has stated that the film is “a positive story about Pakistan on two accounts: firstly, it portrays how a Pakistani-British doctor comes to treat these victims of acid attacks, and secondly, it also discusses the parliament’s decision to pass a bill on acid violence.” Obaid-Chinoy is coming to speak with the Latin community in the Upper School Library at a meeting (from 6:30-7:30 on Thursday, April 19th) led by student leaders of LIFE, where Saving Face will be screening. Her visit will conclude with a breakfast conversation sponsored by LIFE, LAW, and CAUSE students on April 20 in the Loggia from 7:20-8:20 AM. If any of you readers want to go, make sure to contact Ms. Dorer-Fitzpatrick, or sign up on RomanNet because there are limited spaces – they’re going quickly! Note from the Editors: Look out for more about Ms. Obaid-Chinoy after her visit to Latin!]]>