Be Mine, Valentine Part II

Ella Katz And here we are again: Valentine’s Day 2016. That auspicious day that a high percentage (read: basically all of us) constantly dread for the preceding 364 days. Unless of course we have bought stock in flower farms, a chocolate company or in hallmark cards. The day of haves and have nots, lovers and cuddlers, and annoyingly romantic couples reveling in their “coupledom.” The day when everyone watches romantic comedies on Netflix and either cuddles with their valentine or eats a tub of Ben and Jerry’s, which is actually better than a valentine in my book. We realize that we are in fact back to the day when single people at Latin find ourselves feeling distressed, a subtle reminder that we may in fact die alone and be buried in the single section of the cemetery (didn’t you see the Intern with Anne Hathaway?)— of course this pain is quickly relieved with the help of our favorite indulgences: truffle mac n cheese and an entire box of delicious chocolates. Although it may be a difficult day to face alone, I think it is important to look at the positive side of things because after all it is always about perspective. And from my perspective, being single is the best way to be on February 14th, 2016. Once we give ourselves these subtle reminders, we will be all set for a fun filled Sunday – that is a day that can still be fun even without a trip to Vosges. First of all, think of all the pressure and awkwardness that couples must face. Not knowing what gift to buy one another, whether or not the couple should take their relationship to the next level, white or red roses… the list goes on. The point is that when you are single, none of this will cross your mind, which truly is a miracle. The perfect Ben and Jerry’s flavor, Netflix or AppleTV—these are the key considerations. Furthermore, Valentine’s Day is a great excuse to hang out and catch up with all of your single friends! Sad that you won’t get a home cooked-flower filled-candle lit meal? Anything is possible! You don’t need someone else in your life to do that for you. Get together with your single friends and have a nice dinner where you can appreciate how much you value each other’s company. Wow, that sounded really cheesy… maybe just snuggle up on the couch with a bowl of popcorn and your closest friends to watch an all time favorite! Make sure that these aren’t intense love stories, because those will just make you feel like you want to curl up in a ball and never unravel yourself. Best of all, you will without a doubt save money, and lots of it. Without the expensive steak dinner, extravagant bouquet, new dress, or beautiful gift for your significant other, you will be praising yourself when you check your balance at the end of the month (or piggy bank— young love is seriously adorable!). Besides, who needs a boyfriend when you have Ben Higgins, Ryan Gosling and Zac Efron lined up on Apple TV and Netflix! Fawning over attractive celebs will take all of your heavy-heartedness and flush it down the drain. One of my favorite reminders is that you don’t have to try to impress anyone. Not one bit. In fact, you can make fun of all the couples in their suits and fancy dresses. Please, mock them, laugh at them— really do whatever the hell you want. I mean let’s not harass the helpless lovers— that is as long as they keep the PDA to a minimum. Because: newsflash — no one wants to see you salivating all over each other. Moreover, reflect on where you are at this stage in your life. Worship the fact that you have no idea what’s ahead, that there are an endless array of possibilities, that you aren’t tied to anything or anyone. The people in committed relationships who would kill for this freedom is a higher number than you might expect. The biggest benefit of  being single on this love fest day is that getting dumped is frankly impossible. You don’t have to worry about the “it’s not you it’s me” line or “you deserve better.” Nope. None of those lame lines at all. So rethink Valentine’s Day, enjoy the time well spent with your friends and family, the lounging around in your sweats till 2 pm, and the 50% higher balance in your checking account. Most of all, enjoy the freedom while it lasts because you really don’t know when it will be your turn to have to choose between red and white roses.  ]]>