Protest Occurs Outside Latin’s Annual Fundraiser

Cha Yoon
Protestors gather outside of Union Station where Latin held its Romans Raise and Revel fundraiser.

“Latin Parents: Your Donations Condone Bullying” read signs by protesters gathered outside Latin’s annual Romans Raise and Revel fundraiser on Saturday night. Roughly 40 protestors, organized by the anti-bullying project “Buckets Over Bullying,” stood outside Union Station’s entrance at around 6 p.m. as Latin parents arrived for the gala. By 7 p.m., protesters were removed from the site by police after Amtrak representatives phoned in.

“They’re peaceful, [and] not planning on marching,” said one Metra police officer.

The crowd of protesters were of a mixed-age demographic. Many wore black t-shirts with the slogan “#JusticeforNate,” referencing former Latin student Nate Bronstein, who died by suicide on January 13, 2022, at the age of 15.

Nate’s parents, Robert and Rose Bronstein, created the Buckets Over Bullying nonprofit in October 2022 with the mission to “stop [the] cyberbullying of children and teens through education, lawmaking, and legal action.” They have also filed a lawsuit against Latin School and several individuals. The school’s motion to dismiss the suit will be heard later this month.

When asked why the Latin School fundraiser was chosen as a site for a demonstration, Mrs. Bronstein said, “[It was] to bring awareness to the public and Latin parents, including those who may not be aware of the complete history of the school.”

“It was not a protest against scholarships, but rather that parents can and should demand the truth about the school they are funding through tuition and donations, regardless of where those donations are claimed to be spent,” she said.

A spokesman for Latin declined to comment on the protest.