How The PSAT Took Over Social Media

Abigail Garber October 14, 2015 was just like every other day for the Freshman and Seniors, but it meant something completely different for the Sophomores and Juniors. It meant PSAT Day. College counselors herded Sophomores and Juniors all across America into gyms and sat them down at tables with number 2 pencils and calculators to take the PSAT. We walked into the gym not knowing what to expect, as this year was the first time the new SAT and PSAT were released. All we knew was that we were going to be taking this test from 8 a.m. to noon, and that the test consisted of four sections: English, Writing and Language, Math with no Calculator, and Math with Calculator. We were given five-minute breaks between tests, during which many people ran to the cafeteria to stock up on all the water and cookies they could. All students were given a booklet for optional practice, but everyone that I have asked said that they never even looked at it. As soon as I walked out of the test, one of the first things I heard was, “Look at this meme!” I was very confused. I walked over to a group of people huddled around a phone and realized what the commotion was about: people had made questions from the PSAT into memes. There were memes about english passages, reading passages, and even math problems. Others were just about the test in general. Twitter, Instagram, Tumblr, and Facebook were flooded with memes tagged #psat. Everyone thought that these memes were the funniest thing ever. After the test, people spent nearly twenty minutes scrolling through all the different platforms on social media in search of the PSAT memes. Not only did students from Latin discover these memes, but students from schools all across the country scrolled through the internet laughing at the PSAT memes. News websites such as The Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, and Refinery 29 have written articles about the mass publishing of memes. However, The College Board was not pleased with these seditious memes. They even tweeted about the memes: Screen Shot 2015-11-02 at 7.22.52 PM PSAT day was a day filled with test booklets, scantron sheets, and illegal memes. Much to my surprise, this test united high school students all over the country through confusing question and hilarious memes. Some people have even said that the memes had a greater effect on them than the test itself. ]]>