Lady Romans: Spring Sports Recap

Grace Ebach Staff Writer As the leaves turn greener and the once chilly wind now becomes a light breeze, the spring sports season at Latin comes to a close. But before everyone packs up and leaves for the summer, it’s time to recap and reflect on this past season of sports. In general, the Romans did extremely well, having won countless awards, titles, championships, and much more. A new team was welcomed this year, while others were revived, renewed, and refocused for the season. To start off with girl’s sports, the girl’s water polo team thrived this season with new head coach, Christine Ahern, and new assistant coach, Caitlin Kaulas, along with six new freshman and sophomore players. The team went 7-12 against some of the best teams in the city and state. At sectionals, the team beat Westinghouse 13-3, but unfortunately lost against Lane Tech. Co-captain Ellie Williams described “ It was a game where we fought back and displayed excellent defense.” She also expressed how happy she was about the season, and how the team “pulled through and surprised a lot of skeptics.” She is so excited to hear how the team does in the next few years as the new players develop their skills. Her advice to the rest of the team is, “Keep your heads up for next year; it’ll be tough to lose so many seniors, but you’ll have an excellent season with extra persistence and determination!” Girl’s soccer was also a tremendous success this year, going 10-6 overall with an excellent showing at regionals. Sadly, the team lost to Parker in the finals, but as sophomore Chloe Stiffle put it, “I couldn’t have been any prouder of our team’s endurance.” She also mentions“ Four seniors made the team amazing and close-knit. Their leadership brought out the best in the team and I couldn’t have asked for a better group of seniors. The entire team is really going to miss them next year.” Co-captain Kara Bank felt the exact same way about the underclassmen, warning the rest of the school to “watch out for them next year because they’ll only be getting better!” Congratulations to the whole team, especially coach Bower, who earned his 200th win this season as girls soccer head coach! Making a huge splash (though not literally, like the water polo team)  this season was girl’s track and field, which won conference and sectionals and took state by storm, qualifying for the 4×800, 4×400, 4×100, 100 and 300 hurdles, and the mile and two mile. The 4×1 made it to the finals and got 4th overall with the help of Camille Cocklow, who also got 4th in the finals of the 100.  Sophomore Cynthia Trujillo says she will remember everyone “being really supportive and making track really fun.” Kudos to the team, coaches, and all those who made history this year! And to wrap up the female sports season recap is softball. The team had an impressive season with a record of 8-12 and even made it to the regional finals, which they lost in a game to Gordon Tech. But even though the season ended with a heartbreaking loss, the team was still very proud of what they accomplished and experienced together. One of their major accomplishments this season was beating Morgan Park Academy, which had been undefeated in conference for 3 years! As freshman Elizabeth Carlson reflects on the season, she stresses how much the team learned and improved while still “having fun in the process,” and the seniors led the team flawlessly. “Their talent and leadership will be missed,” Carlson said. The Lady Romans have had an unbelievably successful and eventful season this spring. And even though we’re going to lose some talented seniors, we’ll always have the memories of Camille Cocklow racing towards the finish line at state and Ashley Henderson scoring the game-tying goal against St. Ignatius.]]>