Abigail’s Attempts: Stress Managment

Abigail Garber   Now, you see kids, this time of year is full of stress. College apps are due, grades just came out, sports are going to state, plays are being performed, etc. Not only is each person consumed with their own stress, but one person’s anxiety easily rubs off onto the next and then the next until, finally, the whole school becomes one big ball of nervousness. But there are some great ways to help manage your stress in this crazy time…

1. Scream into a pillow. It helps release your anger in a safe and cuddly manner. Simply take a pillow, press it to your face, and then scream.
  2. Drink some tea. Lots of teas help calm the drinker down. Try some chamomile or mint flavored tea.
  3. Eat your feelings. Although not encouraged by most health professionals, sometimes eating a few burritos and a waffle or two will make you feel better.
  4. Talk to your teacher. If you feel like your work load is too much, sit down with your teacher or advisor to try to come up with a game plan or maybe get an extension. Although not all teachers will grant extensions, it’s worth a try if you’re honest and give them advance notice whenever possible.
  5. Lie on the ground for a few minutes. If you have more than a few minutes, try to take a nap. Just be careful of people passing by in the hallways, and set an alarm so you know when you should groan out of misery and go to class.
There are many different ways that stress arises and just as many ways to manage it. Try to take a break from your work every now and then to relax and decompress– at the end of the day, it’s just school. ]]>