A Boys' Soccer Update

Salman Jaffer   As the last few minutes of the Lasallian Cup final neared, the score was tied, and the Romans were looking to attack for a scoring opportunity. Defender Owen Burg lined up for a long-distance free kick while players crowded around the goal. Burg crossed it 40 yards with the precise height and distance; as it floated into the box, defender Aiden Cozzi positioned himself perfectly and headed it into the left corner of the goal. In essence, that set play represented a fine combination of teamwork, balance, and execution—three components that the Latin Varsity soccer team has consistently showcased throughout the season.        With 17 returning varsity players, including captains Alex Arkin, Connor Olson, Michael Roberts, and Aidan Cozzi, Head Coach Bower says the team has been “outstanding on both sides of the field, especially on the back line,” anchored by seniors Aidan Cozzi and Truman Faversham. Goalie Andrew Wiggin has really stood out with his tremendous and influential play, almost posting a shutout against conference rival North Shore Country Day last Thursday.  Captain Mike Roberts says the team has been “resilient” in games, best represented by a hard fought 1-0 win against Lincoln Park High School in the blistering heat. Most importantly, as captain Alex Arkin put it, the “team has had a lot of fun playing together,” which of course makes winning a little easier. As they now stand with a solid record of 8-2, the Romans head into their conference schedule with one box already checked—defend the Lasallian Cup. Looking forward, the team expects to maintain the strong play it has exhibited thus far in order to improve on last season’s run to the super sectional. While overcoming recent injuries will be a challenge for the team, Head Coach Bower says the team’s current mindset is “focusing on the next man up, one game at a time.” This mindset insures that the team is mentally, and physically, preparing to perform their best for each game. With that approach and effort level, Latin soccer fans can expect something big from this squad this season.]]>