To Post or Not to Post: College Acceptances on Social Media

Lily Campbell College. A single word that can bring floods of stress to high schoolers all over the country. As some of our seniors are beginning to find out where exactly they’ll be heading this fall, the levels of stress and tension within the school are rising drastically, especially when there is more than one student applying to a particular college. To make matters worse, social media, particularly Facebook, has been flooded with news of college acceptances. Some students think this is totally normal and convenient platform to spread the positive news about their acceptance. But other students view these posts as insensitive to those who got deferred or rejected. I asked two current seniors for their opinions on posting on social media platforms, such as Facebook, about college acceptances. They both shared their opinions, and talked about whether or not it is okay to post on Facebook. For privacy purposes, they requested to remain anonymous. One student who was opposed to the idea about posting on Facebook said, “Personally, I don’t feel comfortable posting about it. I understand the people who do because of course it’s exciting and you want people to know, but there’s another part of me that feels weird about it. I know so many other people also applied to the school I applied to, so I felt weird saying anything about it very publicly. I just thought to myself, ‘What if I didn’t get good news and saw floods of people posting that they got in places?’ Also, I figured that anyone I would want to know my results I would tell, or they would find out, so I was happy with the amount of people who knew. Either way, whatever makes people comfortable is what they should do and other people should respect that decision.” Another senior who was in favor of posting on Facebook said, “I don’t think it’s a big deal if seniors post where they’re going to college on Facebook, as long as it’s definitely where they’re going and not just any college they are accepted to. Also as long as it’s not over the top or flashy. It’s a good way to connect with other people who you’ll be going to school with, and you can avoid the dreaded college discussion with family/faraway friends if they just see a simple, ‘____ Class of 2020’ post on your wall. Also, everyone (barring any catastrophes) will be going to college, and everyone will have that day when they’re excited about their school; some people have that at different times than others. We’ve all worked hard and we all deserve to be happy about where we’re going!” Although these seniors are on opposite sides of the debate, both students agree that the decision to post varies from person to person, and that it boils down to personal preference. With that being said, it is also important for students to respect the choices of their peers and to be respectful to those who may or may have not gotten accepted. What do you think? Take this poll to cast your vote and share your thoughts in the comments section!  ]]>