Extreme Makeover: Training Room Edition

Lily Campbell One of the Forum EICs interviewed Jessie Heider, our resident Athletico training goddess, about her new digs. After years of working in a small, lightless room, Jessie finally received the upgrade she deserved. LC: When did you find out you were getting a bigger office? JH: During finals week last spring. LC: What’s the biggest upside to having this bigger space? JH: More floor space! Much more room for student athletes to do their rehabilitation exercises. LC: On average, how many student athletes do you assist daily? JH: Can be anywhere between 15-30 depending on the day and which sports are in season. LC: What are your plans for the new space? Any new equipment or do you intend to keep it open for stretching? JH: We added a few new treatment tables, a wall mirror, new cabinets, and new flooring over the summer. We may add more equipment over the next few years, but we are not expecting to add anything else in the near future. LC: What was your initial reaction when you found out about the upgrade? How many years had you been in the last training room? JH: I was so excited to hear we were getting a new training room and that I was going to be involved with designing it! It was difficult to accommodate all of the student-athletes in the old training room due to the limited space, so I knew that all of the kids would be excited about a larger area, as well. I had been in the last training room ever since I started working here about 7.5 years ago. LC: Explain the importance of the sign-in sheet in the context of saving the school money for off-site training. JH: The training room helps me to keep track of the different treatments I provide each day. At the end of the school year, I compile the numbers into a productivity report that helps the school see what those treatments would cost if a student-athlete was seeking similar care at an outside clinic or facility. LC: What’s your favorite thing about the job? JH: I absolutely love getting to work with the middle school and high school kids each day. You all make my job so fun… there is never a dull moment! I also love that no two days are the same. Things are always changing, and it keeps me on my toes.]]>