Innovation (Studio) That Excites

Paige Hosbein Among the shiny state-of-the-art amenities of the Learning Commons – including the improved library and cafeteria and the contemporary fourth-floor bridge – is the Innovation Studio.  Latin’s mission states that it “inspires its students to pursue their passions and lead lives of purpose and excellence.” The Innovation Studio is yet another way Latin upholds their mission by cultivating students’ curiosity and staying on par with the world’s continually progressing technology. Creativity and collaboration ignite here. Students can design, construct, and improve their visions of innovation.  Some of the equipment in the Innovation Studio includes the Prusa i3 MK3 3D printers, Formlabs Form 2 3D printer, Carbide 3D Nomad CNC router, Carbide 3D Shapeoko CNC router, Silhouette Cameo 3 vinyl cutters, and a Glowforge Pro laser cutter. The studio’s manager, Mr. Enderle, is knowledgeable on all things technology from to his experience from working in IT.  He’s based Learning Commons and can assist in operating the equipment. “We hope to have teachers create new projects incorporating the equipment in the studio while also updating existing coursework with our new capabilities.  Teachers will be able to schedule times to bring students into the studio during the day and also have the ability to check out some equipment to use in the classroom,” he said. Pictured above is a roman head machined out of acrylic on the Carbide 3D CNC router using Adobe Illustrator and the Carbide Create software. There is a variety of software that can be used for creating designs to use with the equipment, but students interested in gaining a head start can explore these: 3D Modeling/3D Printing:

• TinkerCAD
  • Fusion 360
  • Blender
CNC Routers:
  • Carbide Create
  • Fusion 360
Laser Cutter:
  • Adobe Illustrator
  • Adobe Photoshop
Vinyl Cutters:
  • Silhouette Studio
  • Adobe Illustrator
In your free time, (if you have any), perhaps explore the many resources Latin has to offer, especially this studio’s modern technologies.]]>