MLB Award Predictions

Charlotte Cronister and Jack Tempone The 2017 MLB Season was full of many amazing performances. Unfortunately, only a select amount of talented players can be recognized for their achievements. The MLB Awards include, for both the National (NL) and American League (AL), Rookie of the Year, MVP, Cy Young Awards, Silver Slugger, Golden Glove, and Comeback Player of the Year. Jack, AL MVP: In my opinion, the 2017 AL MVP should be Aaron Judge. As a rookie, Judge set numerous records. He hit 52 home runs, walked 127 times, and scored a total of 128 runs. If you think of the MVP award as I do, recognizing the most VALUABLE player, then Aaron judge wins without a doubt. Judge kept the Yankees in first place for the majority of the first half of the season alone. Jack, NL MVP: Joey Votto, in my mind, will win the MVP for the national league. The first baseman for the Cincinnati Reds, he played in all 162 games this season. He put up a 0.320 batting average, and had 36 home runs. Votto’s most impressive stat this season, unlike most, wasn’t how far he could hit the ball, or how many times he got a hit: it is his 134 walks this season. He not only produced runs with the long ball, he also was able to get on base in the middle of a rather bad Reds lineup. Charlotte, ML MVP: For the AL MVP, my pick is José Altuve, second baseman for the Houston Astros. Altuve hit an astounding 0.346, which was the highest BA for the whole season in the American League. He was named the starting second baseman for the All Star Game, and his speed has allowed him to steal 32 bases this season. Another factor was his ability to field the ball without error (98.2%, only 10 errors), which has proved that he is one of the best second baseman in the American League. Charlotte, NL MVP: For the NL MVP, my pick is Nolan Arenado, third baseman for the Colorado Rockies. Arenado hit a solid 0.309, but he also knocked in 130 runners, which is the second best in the National League and MLB. He hit 37 home runs, and had a 0.373 on base percentage, which is very good for any player in the league. On the defensive side, he had a 97.9% fielding average, which is a solid stat, and is tied for first in the National League. He has amazing strength based on how easy it is for him to throw from third to first base. He was named the starting third baseman for the All Star Game. Charlotte and Jack, AL Rookie of the Year: Our pick for the AL Rookie of the Year will, without a doubt, be Aaron Judge, right fielder for the New York Yankees. Judge’s being 6’7”+ allows him to hit the ball 500 feet and make spectacular grabs in the outfield; he hit 52 home runs this season with 114 runs batted in, and hit an average of 0.284. These three stats show he is one of the elite players in the league, especially because he is  a rookie. Charlotte and Jack, NL Rookie of the Year: Our pick for the NL Rookie of the Year is Cody Bellinger, first baseman and left fielder for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Bellinger hit 0.267 with 39 HRs, the most home runs as a rookie for the National League in MLB History. He fielded 99.4%, which is impressive for a first baseman or any position. There really are no other options for this choice, and Bellinger is the clear favorite. Charlotte and Jack, NL Cy Young: Our pick for the NL Cy Young award is Clayton Kershaw for the Los Angeles Dodgers. Kershaw is on route to being the best pitcher ever to play the game. His ERA this season was 2.31, highest among the whole league this season. He has also ties for the most wins this season picking up 18 wins, striking out 202 batters. All of these stats were while he was injured for about two months and missing about nine starts. Clayton Kershaw, undoubtedly one of the greatest pitchers of our generation, again had an amazing season. Charlotte, AL Cy Young : My pick for AL Cy Young award is Corey Kluber for the Cleveland Indians. This choice was very difficult for me because it was very close between him and Chris Sale. What swayed my decision was the fact that Kluber had 18 wins, tied with Clayton Kershaw for most wins this year. Kluber’s ERA this season was a quality 2.25, striking out 265 batters. Jack, AL Cy Young: My pick is Chris Sale, lefty for the Boston Red Sox. He won 17 games, and struckout 308 batters. Sale posted a 0.970 WHIP (walks + hits / Innings pitched), meaning he gave up less than one walk and hit per inning pitched. Like Charlotte aforementioned, this award was difficult, but his 308 strikeouts set him above the bar for me. The Gold Glove Award is given annually to the Major League Baseball players judged to have exhibited superior individual fielding performances at each fielding position.We believe that the following players are worthy contenders for the Gold Glove Award this year.

Jack, AL Gold Glove Charlotte, AL Gold Glove
Catcher: Martin Maldonado (22 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Pitcher: Dallas Keuchel (9 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) First Base: Carlos Santana (10 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Second Base: Ian Kinsler (6 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Third Base: Matt Chapman (19 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Shortstop: Andrelton Simmons (32 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average)   Left Field: Brett Gardner (17 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Center Field: Byron Buxton (24 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Right Field: Mookie Betts (31 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Catcher: Salvador Perez (5 errors, 99.4% fielding) Pitcher: Chris Sale (0 errors, 100% fielding) First Base: Justin Smoak (2 errors, 99.8% fielding) Second Base: Dustin Pedroia (2 errors, 99.5% fielding) Third Base: Jose Ramirez (6 errors, 97.2% fielding) Shortstop: Francisco Lindor (10 errors, 98.4% fielding) Left Field: Corey Dickerson (1 error, 99.5%) Center Field: Kevin Pillar (1 error, 99.7% fielding) Right Field: Kole Calhoun: (4 errors, 98.8%)

Jack, NL Gold GLove Charlotte, NL Gold Glove
Catcher: Austin Hedges (20 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Pitcher: Tyler Chatwood (9 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) First Base: Joey Votto (11 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Second Base: DJ LeMahieu (8 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Third Base: Nolan Arenado (20 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Shortstop: Addison Russell (15 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Left Field: Marcell Ozuna (11 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Center Field: Juan Lagares (15 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Right Field: Yasiel Puig (18 Defensive Runs Saved Above Average) Catcher: Yadier Molina (7 errors, 99.4% fielding) Pitcher: Zack Greinke (0 errors, 100% fielding) First Base: Anthony Rizzo (3 errors, 99.8% fielding) Second Base: DJ LeMahieu (8 errors, 98.9% fielding) Third Base: Nolan Arenado (9 errors, 97.9% fielding) Shortstop: Freddy Galvis (7 errors, 98.9% fielding) Left Field: Marcell Ozuna (5 errors, 98.4% fielding) Center Field: Billy Hamilton (3 errors, 99.1% fielding) Right Field: Yasiel Puig (1 error, 99.6% fielding)
The Silver Slugger Award is given to the best offensive player at each position.
Jack, AL Silver Slugger Charlotte, AL Silver Slugger
Catcher: Gary Sanchez (33 HR, 90 RBI, .278 BA) DH: Nelson Cruz (39 HR, 119 RBI, .288 BA) First Base: Eric Hosmer ( Second Base: Jose Altuve (24 HR, 81 RBI, .346 BA) Third Base: Jose Ramirez (29 HR, 83 RBI, .318 BA) Shortstop: Francisco Lindor (33 HR, 89 RBI, .273 BA) Left Field: Khris Davis (43 HR, 110 RBI, .247 BA)   Center Field: Mike Trout (33 HR, 72 RBI, .306 BA) Right Field: Aaron Judge (52 HR, 114 RBI, .284 BA) Catcher: Gary Sanchez (33 HR, 90 RBI, .278 BA) Designated Hitter: Nelson Cruz (39 HR, 119 RBI, .288 BA) First Base: Jose Abreu (33 HR, 102 RBI, .304 BA) Second Base: Jose Altuve (24 HR, 81 RBI, .346 BA) Third Base: Jose Ramirez (29 HR, 83 RBI, .318 BA) Shortstop: Francisco Lindor (33 HR, 89 RBI, .273 BA) Left Field: Khris Davis (43 HR, 110 RBI, .247 BA) Center Field: George Springer (34 HR, 85 RBI, .283 BA) Right Field: Aaron Judge (52 HR, 114 RBI, .284 BA)

Jack and Charlotte, National League Silver Slugger
Catcher: Willson Contreras (21 HR, 74 RBI, .276 BA) Pitcher: Madison Bumgarner First Base: Joey Votto (36 HR, 100 RBI, .320 BA) Second Base: Daniel Murphy (23 HR, 93 RBI, .322 BA) Third Base: Nolan Arenado (37 HR, 130 RBI, .309 BA) Shortstop: Corey Seager (22 HR, 77 RBI, .295 BA) Left Field: Marcell Ozuna (37 HR, 124 RBI, .312 BA) Center Field: Charlie Blackmon (37 HR, 104 RBI, .331 BA) Right Field: Giancarlo Stanton (59 HR, 132 RBI, .281 BA)
  Charlotte, AL Comeback Player: Comeback Player for the AL is Michael Brantley, outfielder for the Cleveland Indians (2016: 0 HR, 7 RBI, .231→ 2017: 9 HR, 52 RBI, .299 BA) Charlotte, NL Comeback Player: Comeback Player for the NL is Zack Greinke, pitcher for the Arizona Diamondbacks (2016: 13 wins, 7 loses, and a 4.37 ERA→ 2017: 17 wins, 7 loses, and a 3.20 ERA) Jack, AL Comeback Player: Mike Moustakas, is my comeback player of the year, third baseman for the Kansas City Royals. His 2016 season was cut short due to an ACL tear, but he came back in the 2017 better than ever. He put up the best stats of his career. He put up 38 home runs, 31 more than last year, and 85 RBIs, 72 more than his 2016 campaign. Jack, AL Comeback Player: My NL comeback player of the year is Kyle Schwarber. Outfielder  for the Chicago Cubs. Kyle got injured within the first series of the 2016 season. He came back in the 2017 season putting up 30 HRs and 59 RBIs. We can’t wait until the awards come out and to see if our predictions are correct!  ]]>