Featuring The Works of Marissa Weiss at Gallery One!

[caption id="attachment_768" align="aligncenter" width="502" caption="Preview of Gallery One. Check it out! (Photo Cred: Benita Gingerella)"][/caption] Mehr Singh Co-Sports Editor Many Latin students walk by Gallery Two everyday and notice the exhibit currently up, but few see the exhibits in Gallery One (by the spirit shop). Currently,the exhibit is of sophomore, Marissa Weiss’s, photography from her summer ISP. I talked with Marissa about her inspiration for pursuing photography, and more specifically, her exhibit featured in Gallery One. What got you interested in photography? Marissa Weiss: Ever since I was little, my aunt has always made art an important part of my life. She has always motivated me to find my artistic and creative side. Whether it was arranging plants in her garden, helping find accent pillows for her livingroom, searching for the perfect wall color for her kitchen, or making a collage of family photos, photography always interested me the most. Although I don’t know what has inspired me to pursue photography, I am certain that this is the right passion to pursue. I hope that one day, I will grow up to be a great photographer. What was the focus of your summer ISP? MW: “When I began my ISP, I honestly did not have a clue about what I wanted the focus to be. One area of focus that I had thought about before entering the class was furthering my post-production techniques using Adobe Photoshop CS5. Withthese skills, I learned how to create HDR (High Dynamic Range) prints. Also this summer, I was a day camp counselor at Latin Day Camp, and I loved taking pictures of my campers. This pushed me to focus on portraits of little kids, whichI learned is a difficult task; they are always on the move! I was lucky enough to have the opportunity to photograph two of my campers, twins Solstice and Zen (Mrs. Sabel’s gorgeous children). They were the highlight of my independent study!” Is there a specific theme or idea you are trying to portray in your exhibit? MW: “I don’t have a specific theme throughout the exhibit, but most of my pictures are in little series. The series are night photography, black-and-white architecture, Latin Day Camp campers, and Solstice and Zen.” What do you enjoy most about photography? MW: “I think one of the reasons I am so drawn to photography is that you can be as creative as you want. Photography enables you to push yourself to new levels with the camera or the technology you use. However, overall, my favorite part of photography is the fact that people appreciate great photos. Seeing cool and creative pictures inspires me to go outside of my comfort zone and experiment with different types of photography. Creating a great photo is the best feeling there is.” Do you have a favorite photograph from the exhibit? MW: “I think out of all the areas of photography I have experimented with, I have really fallen in love with taking pictures of kids. Kids are awesome…so what is better than adorable pictures of kids? Therefore, my favorite picture up in the exhibit is the picture of a group of campers. I love all of their little personalities in the photo.” Be sure to check out Marissa Weiss’s ISP exhibit in Gallery One, as well as the Summer at Latin exhibit (just up) in Gallery Two! For more photos, click [caption id="attachment_766" align="aligncenter" width="717" caption="Gallery Two preview for Free The Children: China (Photo Cred: Benita Gingerella)"][/caption] [caption id="attachment_763" align="aligncenter" width="717" caption="Gallery Two preview for Rwanda (Photo Cred: Benita Gingerella)"][/caption]]]>