Life Not At The Trial

MacKenzie Guynn As finals approach, the top priority for many sophomores is Nazi Mind. If you’re an upperclassmen who took Nazi Mind, you know the stress of writing your briefs and preparing your argument for the Nuremberg trial simulation. However, some have opted out of taking Nazi Mind. Sophomores also had the option to take Latin American Revolutions, Russian Revolutions, Classical Civilizations, and many others for their fall semester history elective. Even with these alternatives, it seems that the overwhelming majority of sophomores are in the midst of the Nazi Mind craze. As a sophomore that did not take Nazi Mind, I have gotten to see my peers stress over the trial while I learn about Latin America. It is not that other history classes are stress-free, but rather that Nazi Mind seems much more intense. The extensive summer reading, the endless writing, and the late nights spent preparing are what make it such a rigorous class. Despite the workload, many of the sophomores who take it end up loving the iconic class. Michael Davis, a current sophomore, has a large role in the trial, head of criminality for the defense, and spends a lot of his time working on his briefs. But “he enjoys the class” and finds the topics they cover interesting. Likewise, Annabel Edwards, a sophomore, says it is “one of [her] favorite classes.” For those who are not taking Nazi Mind, the hype surrounding the Nuremburg trials seems distant, as we are not involved in it. Instead, we observe our peers in the height of their stress. Even though it is a great experience for many, the sophomores who did not sign up for the class, for the most part, do not have any regrets. Bianca Voss, for example, is thrilled that her backpack “is not as heavy as the people who take Nazi Mind.” Even though this may seem like a trivial difference, a heavy backpack is an indication of work and stress. At the end of the day, taking Nazi Mind can be both beneficial and draining at the same time. However, the same can be said about each of the other history electives available to sophomores for first semester. As long as you are interested in the topic at hand, any class will be interesting and rewarding. That being said, it is always fun to see your friends and peers stress about something that you have no stake in.]]>