Girls' Tennis Takes 3rd at State

Most people at Latin hardly know anything about the girls’ tennis team. Unfortunately, it’s pretty underrated due to the fact that the home courts are farther from school than most other sports. However, this year was a great one for the whole team. The varsity girls tennis team won both conference and sectionals. Our #1 doubles team, Eleanor Ruscetti and Maya Seymore, and #1 singles player, Alessandra Bianco went to state and made history as one of Latin’s only teams to win a trophy at state, finishing third overall. These are only a few accomplishments from this season. The team also beat numerous ISL schools, including Parker & Lab, ending with the title of 1st in the Independent School League. When asked how this year went for her, Senior Co-Captain Eleanor Ruscitti said that, “being captain was challenging at times, but definitely worth it. Like every sports team, conflicts can arise during the season, but because the tennis team is small, it is easier to communicate with our teammates.” Likewise, Senior Co-Captain Sophie Karaba said, “I love playing Latin tennis because I get to make friends with people I normally wouldn’t know, including many of the freshman. This season was the best year I’ve ever had playing tennis due to both the team members and our wins.” One of the best things about tennis is that because the team is small, even if some players are on JV and others are on Varsity, you get to know everyone really well. The season is usually pretty short, but tightly packed with practices, matches, and tournaments. Like most sports, it requires a lot of commitment, but it always pays off in the end. Sophomore player, Summer Crown, particularly agreed with this sentiment. “Even though matches can be long and tiring, once it is over, no matter the result, it is a great feeling walking off the court, knowing you accomplished something that day,” she said. Tennis is rewarding no matter what happens each match, because you always know you have another chance to prove yourself that week. Make sure to congratulate girls’ tennis players if you see them in the hallway– this has been an exciting and historic season for the school!]]>