Boys Soccer Rebounds From Poor LaSallian Cup With A Win

Ben Quazzo Co-Editor In Chief Latin Boys Varsity Soccer had a brutal stretch of games last week. The team was competing in the LaSallian Cup, a tournament with seven other elite schools hosted by St. Pats. In their first game on Monday, the Romans defended their home turf with a big win against St. Laurence, a team that last year beat Latin 5-0. Sophomores Teddy Cohn and Paul Favia each had a goal to get things started. Seniors Sam Austin and Ben Quazzo also knocked in goals, sending the Romans onto a 4-2 victory. Unfortunately, that was the extent of success the Romans found in the LaSallian Cup. The next day, the Romans got thumped by Narzareth Academy, falling 3-0 at home on one of the hottest days in the past month. To make matters worse, 24 hours later, the boys fell again at De La Salle, 5-1. The lone goal was scored by Quazzo off an assist from senior Robert Hunter in the last few minutes of the game. After a few days rest, the boys had to play in the 5th/6th place against host St. Pats. This game also resulted in a loss, this time 4-1, with the lone goal scored by senior Alex Dago off a penalty kick. Quazzo was given an all-tournament award at the conclusion of the tournament. The boys avenged their poor performance in the tournament last week in their match today against Christian Liberty Academy. Though Christian Liberty nailed in two goals within the first 10 minutes, the Romans refused to back down. The boys steadied the ship, and then unleashed a barrage of goals that Christian Liberty could not answer to. Austin got on the board first with a nice goal assisted by freshman Henry Schuler. Favia then found the back of the net not once, not twice, but three more times, capping off a hat trick and a great game. Senior Ian Beihl also planned on making his mark on the game by dribbling 50 yards through 3 opposing defenders, only to find teammate Alex Pascale steal the ball and score himself. Cohn notched on another goal, closely followed up by a goal from starting goalkeeper Theo Atkinson, who was playing the field while junior Justin Kaplan got some playing time between the posts. The game ended in a 7-2 Romans victory, improving the team’s record to 5-3. Their next game is scheduled for Saturday against Gordon Tech. To see photos from the game, thanks to photo editor Rahim Karimi, press [caption id="attachment_676" align="alignnone" width="427" caption="Senior Miles Rosenblatt rips a shot against Christian Liberty (photo credit: Rahim Karimi)"]Senior Miles Rosenblatt rips a shot against Christian Liberty (photo credit: Rahim Karimi)[/caption] [caption id="attachment_677" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Senior Robert Hunter dribbles the ball down the field. (photo credit Rahim Karimi)"]Senior Robert Hunter dribbles the ball down the field. (photo credit Rahim Karimi)[/caption] [caption id="attachment_678" align="alignnone" width="640" caption="Freshman Henry Schuler makes a move on opposing defenders. (photo credit Rahim Karimi)"]Freshman Henry Schuler makes a move on opposing defenders. (photo credit Rahim Karimi)[/caption]]]>