“Macbeth” Review

Lucy Limanowski

Latin School theater ensemble’s ’“Macbeth” by William Shakespeare on October 23-25 was impressive to say the least. Ever since sometime between 1603-1607, the Scottish play has been one of the darkest tragedies in playwriting history, and has been performed hundreds, if not thousands, of times, each time with unique elements. In Latin’s case, director Mr. Schneider maintained the traditional parts of the play whilst adding his own style in the form of three extra parts: the “witchlets.” When asked about how the cast prepared for a play consisting of such difficult, antiquated dialogue, he said “We examined each line, learning the depth, meaning, and purpose to every line making the play easier to communicate with.”

The title role was performed by Jake Schlossberg. He captured the aggression and ambition of Macbeth in having to pursue the assassination of King Duncan, played by Julian Mowatt, and the paranoia brought about from more and more deaths his is responsible for. Like Jake as Macbeth, Grace Ebach as Lady Macbeth generated a great emotional response from the audience. As spoken of by many audience members, the witches were mysterious and dark, enhancing the themes of supernatural forces and prophecy in the play. Alongside the witches, the witchlets were creepy and scary; with their hissing and expeditious movement, they made their scenes memorable. Harry Scholes as Macduff, the avenger, and Cat Sharp as Banquo, Macbeth’s foil, were two other characters that created an amazing experience.

Other parts such as the Murderers, Attendants, Messengers, Fleance, and more reminded me of the uniqueness of Shakespeare’s plays, and  how the “smaller” roles can withhold the largest contrasts. As far as the set goes, I was astonished. No, there were no cardboard cutouts of swords and thrones duct-taped onto some sloppy backdrop. Like a movie, the sound was mere perfection. The stone-painted stage, along with the lighting, gave everything a dual-reality.

All in all, I loved the performance, and could not have anticipated what I saw. The talent possessed by my classmates, whom I had no idea possessed such skill, made for an amusing and enjoyable play. I cannot wait to see the winter play!

]]>