iOS 7: Update, Downgrade, or Not an Issue?

Sarah Stone

Staff Writer

A recent explosion of debate entered the Latin high school this past week as iOS 7 graced our phones. There have been arguments about font size, 2d appearance, and inability to navigate with speed. Countless tweets, Instagrams, and Facebook posts have been made in anger against this new layout and one was even quoted to say, “Steve Jobs would be rolling in his grave.”

The Latin School of Chicago, priding itself in being one of the most rigorous schools in the country, strives to educate its students on every aspect of life. Whether we discuss Syria, national debates on torture, or wrongfully imprisoned criminals, Latin students are exposed to many of the world’s issues and have the ability to express an opinion.

Many students are deeply affected by small changes like this update. iOS 7 gives great insight into the students’ views on real issues and problems. As sophomore Andrew Wiggin states, “The web is super glitchy and annoying and I just don’t have time or patience to deal with that during my day.” Trey Ferro also adds, “iOS 7 took away the double tap home feature which completely messes with my music flow.”

The constant debate about this new phone update has been discussed worldwide and been a topic to which kids are proclaiming a hatred of their lives simply because their favorite apps have lost their 3D appearance. Our students educate themselves constantly, yet they are dwelling and lamenting on small details like the new software changes. The idea that a simple phone update, something many would argue to be unimportant in the grand scheme of life, can cause people such anger gives us the opportunity to review the values of Latin students. Currently in Russian Revolutions we are discussing the murders and brutal violence in Chechnya; though we can sympathize with and ponder the issues, it cannot give anyone a new outlook on their lives and it simply was written down to remember later. I believe that Latin students are among the most educated in the country, but it saddens me to see a new phone update impact us more than a massacre in Syria.

]]>