Concealed Carry…and how it Affects the Romans

Michael Herman

As many people may know by now, the Illinois Legislature recently voted in a law that allows concealed carrying in Illinois.  This is big news, as Illinois has finally joined the other 49 states in allowing its residents to carry a handgun on body at all times.  Opinions have differed, but one thing is certain: many feel strongly about the subject.  Numerous restaurant and business owners such as, Glen Keefer, owner of Keefer’s Restaurant oppose this new bill. Keefer stated, “I just don’t think alcohol and guns go together.”  To truly understand why Mr. Keefer is such an opponent of the law, one must first understand what the law states.

Under the law, concealed guns are banned at taverns and bars but not at restaurants like Keefer’s Restaurant whose income from alcohol is less than 50% of their total sales. At this time, unless a business has a sign posted prohibiting concealed weapons, residents with permits will be allowed to carry guns with them.  This isn’t necessarily a problem; the law requires anyone who wishes to carry a concealed firearm to be at least 21 and take the 16 hours of required courses designed by the Illinois Sheriffs Department.  In addition, the applicant must purchase FOID cards, which require a strict background check, fingerprinting, and the payment of a $150 fee.

Even with the strict requirement to obtain one of these permits, some Illinois residents still fear that this law will cause gun violence rates to escalate.  On the contrary, Attorney Jeremy Walker states, “This is not the ‘wild, wild, west’ where just anyone can carry.”  He goes on to say, ”Because these are law-abiding citizens, we don’t see them coming into contact with police, we don’t see them getting into trouble […] the lesson is that concealed carry is not a bad thing.”  Statistics from other states are also prime examples of why this law won’t increase gun violence rates.  For instance, a three-year study conducted in Texas immediately after the passing of its law on concealed carry found that residents who held these permits were 13 times less likely to commit any crime compared to the general public.

This new law will affect all Chicago residents, as well as the entire Latin community, but how?  What will happen when men and women with concealed firearms are walking amongst us on the street?  What will happen when someone who is armed waits in line with us at Potash or Starbucks, a company that allows their customers to be armed in states where it is considered legal? I cannot tell you what exactly we as a community will experience, but I believe nothing as horrible as the opponents of the new law predict will occur. The individuals who will hold these permits will be safe, law-abiding Americans. If any unforeseen changes were to occur, it would be a decreased murder rate in Illinois.   Criminals might think twice about attacking an individual who may be armed and ready to protect him or herself when threatened.  Men and women should always feel that they can protect themselves in any situation, whether it be at home or in public, and this is why the concealed carry law is so crucial.

]]>