A Man With a (Creative) Method

Afrodite Koungoulos

The senior art shows give Latin’s community a unique chance to connect by showcasing homegrown talent. Last week, I had the chance to pull senior Andre Kaplan aside – from a group of admiring students and faculty – to ask him a couple of questions about his art and the creative process behind it.

Andre mentioned that he’s been drawing since he could hold a pencil, but cited an 8th grade extra credit assignment as a memorable first experience with filmmaking. He had attended a Claymation class with a few friends, and was pleasantly surprised to discover that it wasn’t as hard as he’d imagined, which prompted him to explore filmmaking. One of his preferred mediums is computer design; working with Photoshop gives him room to experiment, and it’s easier to change something digital when he’s not working with fixed images.

With a vast array of pieces ranging from acrylic to watercolor to simple line drawings, it’s clear that Andre has a passion for art. He admitted to sketching often in class, most of which is imagination-based, though he does use photographs as a starting point when he feels stuck. It comes as no surprise, then, that Andre expressed interest in continuing to draw well into his later years.

When asked what piece he’s most proud of, he replied any project he’s taken a creative risk with, or any project that he invested a lot of time and energy into. However, he was quick to add that he works best under pressure, which makes his pieces all the more impressive. Andre has every creative base covered, but has a desire to rediscover playing the piano. When he isn’t working on a project, he says he’s an avid foodie, but prefers eating to cooking because he can reap the rewards without having to wash a mountain of pots and pans. If you’ve been spending passing periods gawking at the awesomeness that is Andre’s art show, you should definitely take a moment to strike up a conversation with him. He’ll humbly accept your praise and will answer any questions you may throw at him.

]]>