Notes on the Awesome Club Dance

Dylan Burke For those of you who attended, I don’t need to tell you that the Awesome Club Dance was a huge success. The dance was a school-wide fundraising event that donated all of its proceeds to Northwestern’s Brain Tumor Research Fund. Gaurav Goparaju started off the night as DJ; he did a great job getting things started, and after about an hour and a half DJ Ben Sullivan and DJ Toshi took over, finishing off the night. Overall the dance ran very smoothly, and the crew did a great job setting up, running, and closing up the event. The Co-heads of the club, Blake Lasky and Michael Berger, began doing this dance three years ago. When I asked Michael why he began the Awesome Club, he replied “We started the club because cancer is something that has touched both my life and Blake’s. We got together the summer before sophomore year and decided to start a club and raise awareness for the Northwestern Brain Tumor Institute, an organization that had done a lot for us.” The club was able to bring in money in a number of ways.  Each person that came to the dance had to give ten dollars for their ticket, with the option of purchasing other merchandise. The merchandise included t-shirts, sunglasses, lax pennies, baseball hats, and bracelets.  The attendance at the event was great, with many of the grades coming out to support the event. Co-head Blake Lasky even said that this was the best turn out that they have ever had in the three years of hosting the event. The Awesome Club Dance was a great time– it was fun and for a great cause. With this event, both Blake Lasky and Michael Berger could both raise Latin awareness for brain tumor research, while raising money for the cause.]]>