The "Case by Case" Issue

• J

jwilliamJan 26, 2010 at 1:21 am

Wow. When it comes down to it, the punishment for marijuana is more harsh at Latin than in the real world. Whereas alcohol is merely brushed off. Hypothetically speaking, if a student, or anyone for that matter, is caught with a small amount of pot in Chicago the chances are the officer will take it away from the person, or if the person is under 18, take the person home and inform their parents of what happened. Nothing, usually, long term on their record. But, expulsion is not erased. Yet, if someone under the age of 21 is caught with alcohol, they will be going to court the next morning. In world full of real issues, you’d think Latin’s “liberal” mind set would reflect their judgment for creating rules of equal or lesser punishment than what we might face out of school.
    I know we all want drugs and alcohol out of school, but honestly? If drugs and alcohol cannot be kept out of a prison, what’s going to make a high school any easier? We’ve seen what the War on Drugs has brought us: billions of wasted dollars and ruined lives. The number of users haven’t gone down, the number of users at Latin hasn’t gone down either, nothing has changed, only the methods in which students go about doing it.

The "Case by Case" Issue