Clemantine Wamariya: Latin in Rwanda and LIFE’s Upcoming Guest

Chris Quazzo Staff Writer Clemantine Wamariya was only six years old when the genocide in Rwanda began. After being separated from her parents, she and her sister, Claire, fled to country after country seeking safety in various refugee camps. They were on the move for six years before gaining asylum in America and settling in Chicago. Clemantine and Claire were completely unaware of the whereabouts of their parents until being reunited with them on The Oprah Show.  Now attending college at Yale, Clemantine is currently the youngest appointed member of the U.S. Holocaust Museum Board and has become a powerful activist against genocide today. Though these credentials are impressive, her personal stories truly speak for themselves. On the evening of October 12th, Latin will be hosting Clemantine, jointly sponsored by Latin in Rwanda and LIFE. The goal of the event is to explore the ideas of ethics and global citizenship (the topics for this year’s LIFE speakers) as well as to learn about the genocide through the eyes of someone who lived through it. The event will also be a fundraiser for Latin in Rwanda, raising money for the camps that the school is involved with in Rwanda. In order to raise money for the camps in Rwanda, attendants will pay a suggested fee of $3 for students and $5 for adults. At around 5:00, the event will kick off with the showing of two films: a Frontline documentary entitled “Ghosts of Rwanda,” and a fictional film entitled “Kinyarwanda,” which won an award at the 2011 Sundance Film Festival. Following the videos, Clemantine will be speaking for about an hour, including time for a Q&A session. There will also most likely be some kind of reception/dinner after her speech where you can get the chance to interact with her in a more personal setting. The event is designed to spark lots of discussion and questions, such as the idea of nonintervention and whether or not we, as individuals and an international community, have certain responsibilities to take action against things like genocide. Hopefully, if you attend, her stories will provoke thought from you about those kinds of ideas (and you don’t have to be involved with Latin in Rwanda or LIFE to attend). Be on the lookout for announcements about the event and ticket sales! Note: Certain prices and details subject to change. If you’re interested, here is a link to the video of Clemantine and her sister being reunited with their family on The Oprah Show: http://www.oprah.com/spirit/Rwandan-Refugees-Reunite-with-Their-Family-Video]]>