Occupy Latin

Rachel Stone Features Editor “So about three minutes in, the shouts of ‘we won’t move!’ turned into ‘we want food.’ I don’t really know why, but I think it had something to do with the fact that this freshman was bringing in Einstein’s and we were really hungry from our protesting.” Shrugging off the sleeping bag slung around her shoulders and setting down her makeshift protest sign, Senior Emily Gaynor was able to tell the Forum a little bit about this year’s Senior Prank, “Occupy Latin.” “Jared Levin was basically the mastermind for this whole thing,” she explained. “We were going to switch Latin’s seniors with Parker’s seniors, but that didn’t exactly work, so we went with this plan.” For those who were not able to witness the “protest,” this year’s senior prank consisted of the senior class barricading the entrance to the school, setting up lawn chairs near the double doors, and dressing in the “Occupy” garb of ripped tee shirts and lots (and lots) of cargo pants. Senior (and outgoing Editor-and-Chief) Jared Levin’s account was slightly different. “I had thought of this idea a few months ago,” he said. “I had been thinking of 2012, and the major events that occurred over the course of this year, and me being the nerd that I am, I immediately thought of current events. Since 2012 will always be remembered as the year of the Occupy movement, I thought it would be funny if we could “Occupy Latin.” In terms of senior pranks, it seems that this one was one of the most culturally savvy ones in recent history. The tradition has lasted at Latin for over twenty years, and, according to members of the current senior class, exists to give the senior class a sense of satisfaction, allowing them to leave their mark on the school by doing something collaborative. From putting the school up for sale in the newspaper to starting an impromptu flash-mob in the cafeteria, Latin seniors have no shortage of creativity (or broken tables). “To be honest,” continued Jared, “this was one of my favorite pranks, and not just because I’m biased. It was in good taste, it was funny, and everyone –including the teachers—had fun with it.” An example of current events’ influence on student ideals, a metaphor relating the dichotomy of Latin students and contemporary society, or just an excuse to wear hippie clothing and yell at underclassmen, this senior prank certainly won’t be forgotten anytime soon. And with graduation and the promise of next fall blooming in the heady summer air, being remembered has never seemed so wonderful.]]>