The Demise of Senioritis

Jared Levin Editor in chief emeritus Every student looks forward to their second semester of senior year; a phrase synonymous with an idyll of endless fun and worries limited to what outfit to wear at prom and what to do with extensive amounts of free time.  However, at the Latin School of Chicago, it seems as though seniors have something that those from other schools do not.  I am talking about work.  Here at the Latin, school does not get easier as time comes to an end. Perhaps in an effort to reduce the senior-slackage, teachers have increased the homework, saddling students with a formidable load that would rival that of a first semester Junior.  Take my English class for example; with less than two weeks left of school and a final at the end of the course, we started a more than 200-page book.  A book of this size may not seem daunting if it were placed more effectively into the syllabus.  However, with the challenge of a 10 page final paper (and its inherent close deadline), I find myself spending so much time at night trying to read the assigned pages while starting to work on my final.  I don’t mean to complain.  I really enjoy the book, but it seems as though all of my classes—with the exception of a few—are still assigning a lot of work seemingly in spite of finals (let alone the potential for relaxation). As a senior, it is hard for me to act upon my “Senioritis” because I simply have too much work to do! Yet, I do acknowledge that my workload is also due to the fact that I take on a lot as a student. I am enrolled in recommended course load with the addition of a Capstone, and I also participate in quite a few extracurricular activities.  So, I guess that a lot of my work is a result of my choices and decisions to take on academic challenges second semester.  Even though I may have a lot of work that prohibits me from really enjoying senioritis, I am trying my best to live up every last moment as a student at Latin.  I can only be a student for a few more weeks, but I have a lifetime for “senioritis.”]]>