No Restoration Without Representation

Rachel Stone Features Editor Apathy. Never before was this quality attributed to Latin students, that is, until now.   Perhaps this is the result of our culture, our school dynamic, or even our general ambivalence to school rules, but it seems that we all have become somewhat detached to the changes that are being made, changes that directly affect us. Frankly, I can’t help feeling troubled.   The object of my concern is hard to miss; walk into any classroom, and you will find it prominently displayed. This new “Statement of Values” has usurped the previous honor codes and rules, and the change was made without consulting the majority of the student body. Yes, it is true that school is not a representative democracy, but I always assumed that Latin would handle these proceedings differently, without relegating the students to the role of unquestioning submission.   The rules themselves are not the issue. As far as honor codes go, this did seem to be remarkably open to interpretation, with statements that adhered to a reputable standard of moral code.   However, our inaction is unsettling.   We are ambivalent to the fact that new rules were created without our consent. We don’t care that we can’t do much to change them. We don’t take issue in blindly signing on to a constitution of sorts that many did not read (and in fact were given an ultimatum), and we seem not to worry about being held to standards that we did not agree to.   Where is the skepticism? Where is the people’s voice?   Now, I am not advising a coup de état, a revolution, or even disregard towards the rules themselves. I simply dare you to participate, whether it be exercising your opinion in student government, or commenting here on the Forum. I dare you to make your voice heard.   I dare you to care.]]>