Latin Goes Rogue

Rogue Magazine makes me dizzy. Juniors Joe Bucciero, Andrew Crown, and Henry Schreiber (who edit the magazine with Paul Hinkes and Sam Daulton), like to jump from subject to subject, playing off each other to create a fantastic blend of fact and fiction. I can barely understand the notes I’ve taken (why is Joe talking about how his uneducated, steel-worker grandfather climbed the ladder of society?), but I can’t help laughing. Though these three may not be answering my questions very clearly, they certainly know how to tell a funny story. One conversation, and I can’t wait to see what these guys come up with in their next issue of Rogue. I began my interview by asking how Rogue got started. For those of you in the Latin community who somehow never noticed the obtrusive “ROGUE” signs peppering the walls of the school or haven’t read the first issue of the magazine, Rogue first came onto the scene on November 1, bringing an interesting blend of humor and serious journalism. Joe began with his aforementioned story about his grandfather in the steel mill. An argument ensued about whether or not the main events occurred pre- or post-Holocaust. Henry brought 9/11 into it, somehow. And I was trying to figure exactly how all this related to the birth of Rogue. Andrew fortunately brought the boys back to the topic, and I got a story a little closer to truth. Last school year, Andrew and Joe were in the cafeteria (“Sam’s Golgi complex was all out of whack”) and they were talking about starting a magazine. And they did. Apparently, it is not very often that Andrew and Joe’s schemes bear fruit (at this point Henry asked, “Can I turn the lights off to save energy? I’ll just turn them on and off intermittently”. And he did so). What had originally started as a plan for a column in the Forum called “Faces in the Crowd” (an opportunity to talk to girls and find out what they liked) turned into a full-blown magazine. Then Sam Daulton got involved because he came up with the name Rogue (you may think of it as the Rwandan Organization against Genocide Under Extreme conditions, if you’re so inclined). Andrew states that he kept misspelling the title as “Rouge”, which is apparently the way the magazine connects to Joe’s grandfather; he was a big fan of Moulin Rouge. Why is Rogue labeled as a magazine for men? Well, the story the boys gave me was that it was actually a women’s magazine (the article about men’s bathroom etiquette is really supposed to be informative to women) but then Kinko’s made a mistake. Or that it was always meant to be a men’s magazine about fashion and lipstick. Or that it’s not really for men, but that the editors are men. Believe what you will. What are the editors of Rogue planning next? Monthly issues, all paid for by the editors themselves. As Henry suggests, “School is going overboard with putting things in the computer, instead of in the hands”. They’re working on plans for another Minority Report article, after the success  of the fake interview with Vikram Murthi, and on a column called “How You Doing?” capitalizing on awkward photos of certain individuals pictured together. Maybe they’ll include a feature called “Does This Person Still Go To Our School?”. What do the boys think of When In Rome? They’re huge fans, though they think it’s “a vast understatement to say that When In Rome’s run out of steam”. These guys really are hilarious, creating a publication that is ridiculous, hilarious informative, smart, and serious. When you’re not anxiously awaiting the next issue of The Forum, I would highly recommend picking up an issue of Rogue, if for nothing else, then to read the hilarious cage-fight article pitting Sam Graff against-who else?- Sam Graf. As Sam Graff piped in and the editors made sure I included in this article, “Rogue is even better than juggling!”. Also, Henry would like me to assure you that he didn’t play soccer last year purely because of injury and was, in fact, second team all-conference. Just so you know.]]>