You Say You Want a Revolution?

Rachel Stone Co-Features Editor It is strange to think, but in however many years into the future, today’s date will be on the flashcards of the children of America as they learn about the Egyptian Revolution of 2011. These astonishing current events have unfolded at breakneck speed, sending opinions and debated questions hurtling through the airwaves and hallways of Latin. Snippets of Mubarak-centered conversation were more prevalent than talk of course selection these past few weeks, and both students and teachers alike were seen arguing during passing periods. Rivaled only by the presidential elections in 2008, this has been the most vehemently discussed current event issue to hit this school in a long time. The Latin population caught the spirit of the revolution. For those not familiar with the recent events, in this past month, the people of Egypt forced their president of over 30 years to step down from office. Through increasingly violent street riots and protests, they regained the power that they had lost under his presidency. Citizens continued to voice their opinions through the curfews and temporary Internet shutdown.  Though over 100 Egyptians were killed (and thousands injured) during these riots, the citizens were finally able to speak out against such dire problems as poverty, unemployment, police brutality and repression, and lack of free speech and elections. Senior Vikram Murthi believes strongly that “the Egyptian people are an inspiration to us all; they defied the odds and fought for their freedom from an oppressive leader with their bravery and ingenuity.” However, many did not ally with the beliefs of the Egyptian people; there is and remains to be much debate regarding the safety of neighboring countries (namely Israel) under the new regime. Nevertheless, Sophomore Sarah Heilbronner believes that “Israel is an under-acknowledged strong force,” and because of this, she is “not quite as concerned for Israel’s safety as [she is] for the unnecessary threats it receives.” She concludes with certainty that the state may overcome any challenges because of the unified force that it is.” Yet, some members of the student body remain in the middle of these views. Senior Nick Weiss voiced his opinion that he “liked seeing a peaceful protest work well in the Middle East, and was really happy they took down Mubarak, but with the laws still not amended, [he is still] not convinced Egypt will become truly democratic.” Since the history is being written as I write this article, what happens from now truly remains to be seen. And yet, whatever changes from today until the future, my beliefs echo those of Mr. Murthi as he says that “this will be known as the first modern revolution of our time.”]]>