What Latin Graduates Wish They Knew In Their Last Quarter

Madeline Cohen Co-Editor-in-Chief 92 days. Seniors, that’s how many days we have left until graduation, including weekends, days off from school, and the three-week stretch off for Project Week and spring break. Third quarter has just ended and it’s just beginning to sink in: we’re approaching the end of high school. According to Latin graduates who have lived through it before, here’s how we should spend our last few months of high school:     “This is the last time you’ll be around kids you’ve been friends with for up to 12 years. Without the pressures of schoolwork, try to get to know them better. Talk to teachers. Keep learning. Have fun.”  Hannah Crane, Boston University                                                                                                                                                                     Class of 2014   “My advice would be spend time with family (and pets) because that’s probably what you’ll miss most living away from home the majority of the year. Also, just try to enjoy your friends and beloved faculty members because being at a big school you miss that tight knit community that Latin has especially when you have a 450-person lecture and never once meet your professor.”  Sarah Stone, University of Michigan                                                                                                                                                                Class of 2016   “My advice would be to end on a positive note. Instead of cutting class and not doing your work, take advantage of your freedom by giving something back to the school. For example, me and one of my best friends, Chris Quazzo, organized and ran the spring talent show. We got all of our friends to perform and practically our entire grade to come. It was a really fun way to celebrate our time at Latin. I will remember that forever. Also, spend as much time with your friends as you can. That is what you are going to remember looking back at high school. Make memories. Whether that means winning a regional championship with your sports team, or doing fun stuff on the weekends. Cherish your last few months and spend it with the people you love the most.” Johnny Buchanan, Tulane                                                                                                                                                                                   Class of 2015

“Enjoy the light work load in the last few months of high school; college definitely picks up! Also, side note, cherish home-cooked meals because dining hall food 24/7 will make you wish you did!”

Anabel Mendoza, Northwestern University                                                                                                                                                    Class of 2016   “I would say: Really appreciate the time you spend with your family and friends. It’s the memories with them that you will miss most when you head off to your next life destination. Don’t stress about grades anymore because they literally don’t matter and lastly, and perhaps most importantly, appreciate the amazingness of the Latin cafeteria.” Samantha Cohen, University of Michigan                                                                                                                                                       Class of 2013   “Everyone tends to hate Latin in their final months, but it is important to remember everything that Latin has for you. Even though it can be hard, in hindsight, you will leave Latin a happier person.” Chris Maurice, Colorado College                                                                                                                                                                        Class of 2016   “I would say the most important thing is to make the most of your time with your friends at Latin. It’s a blessing to have a schedule built into your life that allows you to spend 7+ hours a day with some of the most important people in your life. You may be ‘over it,’ but once you graduate, it becomes incredibly rare that you’ll ever have all your friends from home in the same place at once, so enjoy it while you can. School is important, but you presumably still have four more years (at least) to be a student. That isn’t to say stop going to class altogether and don’t do any homework whatsoever but…let yourself have fun. And make good relationships with your teachers – Latin teachers do not grow on trees.” Chris Quazzo, Yale University                                                                                                                                                                             Class of 2015   “My advice would be to stop worrying about grades. Senior spring is the perfect time to enjoy school for the sake of learning and being in classes with people you know and appreciate that. Don’t waste time perfecting an assignment or stressing about a B. Go out of your way to ask your teachers about something interesting and do projects that feel important to you. Also take a day (or three) to just hang out with your mom or your dog or your friends.” Jessica Kubert, Emory University                                                                                                                                                                     Class of 2016   “The things you do outside of the classroom this quarter will have a far greater impact on your college preparedness than anything you can do inside of it.  Make sure you leave Latin feeling good about yourself and head to college with confidence!” Josh Martin, University of Michigan                                                                                                                                                                Class of 2014   “Spend time with the people you love and make sure they know how much they mean to you. When college starts, people start doing a lot of different things and it becomes hard to make time for people that you’ve never really had to before because you saw them everyday. Put the time in now. Also it’s never too late to start a new friendship. Wade Pryor, Harvard University                                                                                                                                                                      Class of 2016  ]]>