2010 PIEA International Photo Exhibit in Gallery Two

Mehr Singh Co-Sports Editor Many students have walked past Gallery Two multiple times during these first two weeks of school, whether it was on the way to class or to admire the photos displayed. The exhibit that was up recently was of the 2010 PIEA (Photo Imagining Education Association) international student-teacher contest winners. Ms. Ross explained, “Photographs were entered from all over the world to be judged. There are three different judges every year, who look at about 5,000-6,000 entries per day!” About 112 schools from around the world, including Latin, entered the contest. Some of these schools were from countries such as South Africa, India, China, the UK, and the US. The show is exhibited around the world in various schools, and Latin was fortunate enough to book the show this year because Ms. Ross was the past president. When asked how she got involved with the association Ms. Ross explained, “ I got started with the association when I saw that they were looking for teachers to submit work. I submitted some work, [along] with one of my students, who, in fact, won the grand prize.” Ms. Ross also won for the work she submitted and was awarded with a week-long photography workshop with all expenses paid. Ms. Ross adds, “Students and teachers can win about $2,000 worth of prizes, such as digital cameras.” Latin sends many entries to the PIEA contest, but, unfortunately, this year none of them won prizes. However, “ all work submitted from Latin are finalists, as are those pieces that have been selected to be submitted,” clarified Ms. Ross. Latin students will keep submitting to the PIEA contest, and hopefully in upcoming years will have some award winners! The next upcoming exhibits in Gallery two will be of Summer at Latin and Chantal Baros, a visual artist and painter. Make sure to stop by and check them out!]]>