Boys Soccer Extends Win Streak To 3

Ben Quazzo Co-Editor In Chief [caption id="attachment_582" align="alignnone" width="433" caption="Senior Ryan Kurtzman makes a hard tackle"]Senior Ryan Kurtzman makes a hard tackle[/caption] This past Saturday, the Romans Varsity Boys Soccer Team took on Northside College Prep, on a very narrow field. This played as a benefit for the Romans, who utilized the small width with senior Robert Hunter’s long throw-ins. The Romans got on the board first, when Hunter rocketed a throw-in into the middle of the penalty box. After a tip-in from the opposing goalie, the ball found the back of the net. The first half finished at a slow pace, ending 1-0. After some motivation from Coach Bower, the Romans came out in the second half, guns blazing. Captain Sam Austin punished the Northside defense and knocked in a beautiful header goal from 7 yards out off a precise cross from junior Justin Kaplan. A few minutes later, Austin again tore through the defense and laced in another goal, extending the lead to 3-0. When the final whistle blew, the Romans walked away with their third straight victory, keeping the undefeated season alive. The boys will be tested today, however, facing a very strong and quick St. Laurence team in the Lasallian Cup. The game will be played at 4:30 on the South Lincoln Park turf field.]]>