Forum Foods: The New Student Government Committee, Flik, and Halloween Recipes

Eleanor Pontikes and Anika Jagasia With the increase in student and parent complaints about Latin’s food service, Flik, student government has allocated a food committee to discuss solutions. In regards to the food, some students feel like the options aren’t kid-friendly, while others feel like the food options don’t have enough variation. Junior Zyana Slade-Bridges said, “As much as I loved fried rice, sometimes they just need to ease up on the soy sauce,” and fellow junior Richard Mbouombouo chimed in, “Usually, on days when there’s fried rice, there’s only fried rice. There isn’t a second option.” Another logistical issue people are concerned about is the long lines for the registers. Because of the nature of Latin’s 8-block schedule, the influx of people in the cafeteria varies every lunch block; some days the lines go all the way from the registers to the front doors, while other days they are two people deep. The suggestions are little things, too, like requests for gum to be sold and a better bagel selection. It’s important to note that Flik has tried very hard to please students this year. At the beginning of the year an ice cream cooler was added to increase the number of dessert options. And after hearing complaints about popular candies and snacks being taken away, Flik put them back on the shelves. Flik even added halloween cookies that look like ghosts in the spirit of Halloween. All in all, these suggestion and complaints need to be heard, but remember to proactively voice these concerns by joining the food committee in student government, sharing ideas to a member of the committee, or writing thoughts and popping them into the suggestion box. Either way, the only way to make a change is to take part in the issue and voice your thoughts! With Halloween in the past, here’s a copycat version of a classic, Reese’s Peanut Butter Cups! The recipe is a little tough, but worth it. *BONUS* come to the next Forum meeting for a sample! INGREDIENTS

• 12 oz bag of semi sweet chocolate chips (optional: mix in ½ cup of butterscotch chips)
  • 1 cup of reduced fat peanut butter
  • ½ cup powdered sugar
  • ¼ teaspoon salt
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. Cut the top half off of the muffin cups so that they are shallower.
  2. Pour the chocolate chips into a glass bowl and melt them in the microwave: Microwave at 50% power for 2 minutes. Stir the chips gently, and let ​them sit for a minute or so. If the chocolate needs more melting, microwave those chippies again at half power for 30 seconds. Stir gently. Continue the process, stirring gently as you go. But be very careful not to overcook the chocolate or it’ll seize up on you like day old Carolina roof tar.
  3. Using a teaspoon, spoon a portion of the chocolate into the middle of a muffin cup. Draw the chocolate up the edges of the cup with the back of the spoon. Coat the entire inside of the muffin cup with chocolate and place it into a muffin tin. Repeat with the remaining muffin cups and then put the whole muffin tin in the fridge so that the chocolate hardens.
  4. Combine the reduced fat peanut butter, powdered sugar and salt in a medium bowl.
  5. When the chocolate in the muffin cups has hardened, pop the sweetened peanut butter into the microwave oven on full power for 1 minute. This will soften up the peanut butter so that it easily flows into the cups.
  6. Spoon a small portion of peanut butter into each of the chocolate­-coated cups. Leave room at the top for an additional layer of chocolate, which we’ll add later. Put the cups back in the fridge for about 10 minutes, then use your fingers to flatten and spread out the peanut butter. Then, pop the cups back into the fridge for an hour or until the peanut butter has hardened.
  7. When the peanut butter filling has hardened, re­melt the chocolate chips in the microwave on half power for 30 to 60 seconds. Use a teaspoon to spread a layer of chocolate over the top of each candy. Chill the candy once again to set up the chocolate.
  8. Finally, remember to take the paper off the outside of the peanut butter cups before eating them.
Makes 12 candies. https://www.topsecretrecipes.com/Reeses­Peanut­Butter­Cups­Copycat­Recipe.html   Just to make your Halloween extra cheery we’ve added an Oreo Rice Krispie Treat Recipe that only takes 2 minutes to bake!! Try it, it’s super quick and easy! Decorated-Halloween-OREO-Rice-Krispies-Treats INGREDIENTS
  • 7 cup Rice Krispies Cereal
  • 1 ­ 16 oz bag mini marshmallows
  • 5 tablespoons butter
  • 30 OREO cookies, crumbled
  • frosting, dyed orange
  • decorations
INSTRUCTIONS
  1. In a microwave safe bowl, heat marshmallows and butter for 2 minutes. Stir well.
  2. In a larger bowl, mix cereal, marshmallow mixture and OREOS until fully combined.
  3. Spray a 9 x 9 baking dish with non­stick spray and spread the treat mixture into the pan, pressing firmly.
  4. Once the treats have completely cooled, cut into squares, cover with frosting and decorations.
http://www.mombythebeach.com/oreo­rice­kripsies­treats­recipe­for­halloween/]]>