Voting Experience in Illinois

Chris Maurice Staff Writer  Voting in America is our way of expressing our freedom, our right to a democracy, and the future of our state and country. Though most Latin students did not have the opportunity to vote in this midterm election, a few did, and along with teachers they all took to the polls to express their right to vote. Many Latin students, though not eligible to vote, are still well aware of what is happening in the world of politics. Many students were tracking the news and results. But in the end, it all comes down to the voter. Between October 20th and November 4th, millions of Illinoisans, including Latin students, parents, teachers, alumni, set off to the polls and cast their ballots in the 2014 Midterm elections. But what is it like voting? What is it like using your voice to express what you believe will be a better future for Illinois and our country? Assistant Aquatic Director Danielle Carlson’s experience voting in this election was quick and easy. Though Danielle hit the polling place, there was still a very low voter turnout this year. According to a Sun-Times article, 129,619 less ballots were cast in the City of Chicago and Suburban Cook County in this year’s election than in the 2010 election—the last midterm election. No matter what the numbers say, or who the candidates are, midterm elections are important too. Danielle believes that voting in elections is important because “you get to use your voice to express what you believe in.” Soon enough, all Latin students will get the chance to vote in their first election, and many after. The experience may not live up to one’s expectation, but the most important thing to remember is that every vote counts. This year, in the Illinois Treasurer’s race between Tom Cross and Mike Frerichs, recent numbers have shown they are in dead heat. Cross has the lead by only 500 votes, which is .018% difference. All in all, the voting experience to some might be a worthwhile trip, but it is important to remember people died fighting for the right to vote, so let’s not take advantage of that.  ]]>