Election Reaction

Bianca Stelian Staff Writer Along with November come many preconceived notions.  It is around this time that one usually completely adjusts to school, winter sports begin, and everything starts to taste more or less like pumpkin.  Well, every four years, another event occurs, one so significant that millions of people tune in just to see the verdict.  No, I’m not talking about the finale of The Voice – I’m talking about the election. As a hardcore democrat, it is certainly my instinct to write this article about how America has clearly made the right choice in selecting a ‘second serving,’ if you will, of Obama.  He is a well-spoken, strong, persuasive individual whose optimism and energy won over our country back in 2008, winning decisively over McCain.  This win, however, the same thing cannot be said. Let’s face the facts.  We are currently in an economic recession that has had no rival since the Great Depression.  The easy way to identify the cause of this is to point blame towards 2000-2008 President George Bush, who created a large deficit for Obama to take over in his presidency.  So therefore Obama cannot be blamed for our current fiscal situation, say extreme left-wing people.  However, perhaps Obama’s optimism way back in 2008 caused him to underestimate the severity of the deficit and in turn, he made some promises he couldn’t live up to. One memorable promise was made one month after his inauguration on February 23, 2009 where he said, “Today I am pledging to cut the deficit we inherited in half by the end of my first term in office.”  Fast forward to the end of his first term: is the deficit reduced?  Yes.  Is it HALFWAY reduced?  Certainly not.  With the existence of such unfulfilled statements, Obama can seem like a not-as-worthy option for the presidency.  Who do we turn to now?  Romney! Mitt Romney was the choice for those who viewed Obama as being the cause of America’s downward financial slope.  Though he had some harsh social standpoints, he attacked Obama on his economic mistakes and vowed to turn this country around.  So in the end, why did Obama reign victorious?  Our country’s main issue is clearly its economy, and for each candidate, jobs, or the lack thereof.  If Obama basically led the country into economic turmoil (stop booing, I’m a democrat) and Romney comes along promising to change everything, why did America stay with Obama? Personally, I believe that America is scared.  Yes, Romney was a fresh face with new ideas and a track record of success, but the details on his economic plans are quite fuzzy, and he has made some major statements regarding social matters.  His vice presidential candidate Paul Ryan did not seem to be a figure of wisdom or stability, and he actually flew a bit under the radar; I mean, compared to McCain’s selection of Sarah Palin in 2008. Anyway, in the end, I believe that we made the right choice as a country by choosing Obama.  He has four years experience of being President, while Romney has zero.  He has actually done quite a lot for this country – maybe not as much in certain areas that were necessary, but he’s accomplished a great deal.  And to be honest, he’s less creepy than Romney, who looks like a dying mouse.  So even if some of the seniors who voted for the first time this year have regrets, we need to focus on the future and not the past.  Obama has made some claims for what he will achieve during this term.  All we can do is wait and see if he follows up on them.   To see some of Obama’s accomplishments: http://whattheheckhasobamadonesofar.com/]]>