An Ode to the White Mamba

Michael Berger Staff Writer It is the final game of the 2011-2012 regular season; this game is considered by most a throwaway because the Bulls have already clinched the number one seed in the east.  There are two minutes and fifty-nine seconds left in the game and a piercing chant is exploding throughout the stadium.  This chant is not regarding the Bulls massive 30-point lead over the Cavilers, but has to do with something else all together. The fans are not cheering for third string point guard John Lucas III’s 25 point performance, of Taj Gibson’s dominating 4 blocks and 12 rebounds, but they are cheering for a player that has not seen the court all day.  A player who in his career has an average of 3.1 points a game and has only played an average of 4.5 minutes per game in his career in Chicago.  They are cheering for the White Mamba, the Jolly Red Giant, and the League Leader in High Fives, Mr. Brian Scalabrine. As chants of SCAL-UH-BRINEEE electrify the crowd, Coach Tom Thibodeau begins to roll his eyes and waits a second before he points to the White Mamba telling him it is finally his time to get in the game.  When Scalabrine rips off his warm-ups and runs on to the court, the stadium erupts in support of this basketball legend. As he does no matter the situation, Scalabrine makes the most of these three minutes of garbage time.  He hustled up and down the court, and does all he can to continue extending the bulls lead.  With twenty five seconds left, the cumulating moment of the game occurs.  The man. The legend. The White Mamba scores his final two points of his NBA career.  Scal pulls up for a 22-foot jump shot and it goes right into the hoop. The stadium explodes and Brian Scalabrine lets out an intense roar. Earlier this month Brian Scalabrine rejected an offer to become a coach for the Chicago Bulls to become a broadcaster for the Boston Celtics.  This news hit me like a ton of bricks, and I was immediately spiraled into depression. I felt abandoned.  As a Ginger American, I had looked up to Brian Scalabrine as a leader and ambassador for the red headed community.  I felt lost, Brian made me believe that red heads could do anything we could dream of, even professional Basketball. Since then I have made peace with this fact and come to the realization that Scalabrine left the bulls to be closer to is family, and fulfill his dream of becoming a broadcaster.  With his new role, he will still make an impact for Gingers and will continue to be a roll model for all. At least the NBA still has Matt Bonner.]]>